Technical Can anyone help me with adjusting the parking brake . 1967 fiat 500f

Currently reading:
Technical Can anyone help me with adjusting the parking brake . 1967 fiat 500f

Adrianrussell

I have unbolted the emergency brake but didn't see the adjustment nuts . Do I adjust at the wheel or where . Thanks in advance !!!

I have unbolted the emergency brake but didn't see the adjustment nuts . Do I adjust at the wheel or where . Thanks in advance !!!
The parking-brake (a.k.a. hand-brake) on the 500 is adjusted where the hand-brake cable comes through the retaining bracket just ahead of the rear brakes. The outer sheath has 2 x17mm (or 19mm, I can't remember off-hand) 1 either side if the cable holder on the suspension arm. You lengthen the cable to tighten the hand-brake (i.e. put more threaded section in front of the retaining bracket) and shorten the outer to loosen the hand-brake (i.e put more thread to the rear of the retaining bracket. Once you have got the correct hand-brake adjustment (3-4 clicks) tighten up the 2 nuts at the retaing bracket to 'lock-in' the adjustment.

If you are having trouble with getting a good solid hand brake, you may have an issue similar to mine where there's a lot of play in handbrake itself and no matter how hard you try it won't stay straight and keep the cable on the pulley wheel when engaged. I've not sorted the issue out yet as I still get a reasonable brake at 7 clicks, but it may be the reason your also unable to adjust it successfully to 3-4 clicks

Attachments

• IMG_5717 2.JPG
    IMG_5717 2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
I was looking at my cable it seems to be bigger . Here is a photo . Thanks for your input !!!

Attachments

• 65C6FD99-F40C-4538-ADF5-CCFFF4C4C79F.jpeg
    65C6FD99-F40C-4538-ADF5-CCFFF4C4C79F.jpeg
    857.5 KB · Views: 42
Back