Camera help?!

Currently reading:
Camera help?!

Glad i founf this thread, I was planning on buying the D40 as its im my price range, but was put off by its lack of mp's (6). Someone told me this isnt as big a factor with dslr's as they take a much better photograph anyway. But should i look at dslr's with more mp?

Glad i founf this thread, I was planning on buying the D40 as its im my price range, but was put off by its lack of mp's (6). Someone told me this isnt as big a factor with dslr's as they take a much better photograph anyway. But should i look at dslr's with more mp?

Two things you should bear in mind. The number of pixels you need will be dependant on the size you want to print out. A file from a 6MP camera should print out fine up to about A4 without problems. If you want to go up as big as A3, probably a 10MP camera would be better.

The other thing you should consider is that the number of pixels isn't everything - the size of the sensor is important too. SLRs have a physically larger sensor, which makes them less prone to noise (electrical rather than audible..) and hence can produce a higher quality image using the same number of pixels. SLR lenses should also be superior to those on a compact camera, which will help things along as well.

One final thing - SLRs are big bits of kit to lug around - I take most of my pictures using a Canon Ixus compact because it's tiny and I can stick it in my pocket. It's no good having the worlds greatest camera and then missing a shot because you couldn't be bothered to bring it...

Cheers,

Plug

thanks for that, has cleared up the megapixels issue, a4 size would be pleanty big!
Yeah i knwo they're size is an issue, However, the quality they produce is just too tempting... and have you seen the size of my hand bag ;)

Back