Cam sensors and miss fire codes.

Currently reading:
Cam sensors and miss fire codes.

Well that's been a few interesting days. My youngest boy's Astra Estate (2007 1.6 VVT Z16XER engine) failed it's MOT on emissions - rich. He uses this vehicle as his business "van" and is getting very naughty about letting me service it or do regular maintenance. "Dad I'm just so busy just now, maybe next Tuesday"? But it never happens. consequently I only tend to see it when something goes wrong. (He does at least get the engine oil and filter changed regularly by whichever Fast Fit organization will do it on an offer while he waits). So I'm not that surprised it failed as I haven't had my hands on it for over a year and it only just scraped through last year. I was about to go out (roughly an hour's drive) to collect and bring it back to my house when he rang to say his friend, who owns a small "one man and his dog" type garage, is going to fix it for him if he does some free work for him - wrapping a van I believe. Sounds great, and I don't need to freeze my n***s off in the driveway messing about with it.

Within a day he was back on the 'Phone to me saying that the VVT inlet pulley (and to a lesser extent the exhaust one too) needed to be replaced. Well I've been telling you it's needed them since they started "clacking" on startup more than a year ago son! Ok Dad, but they're going to be around £400 to £450 or more by the time he buys a cam belt kit too and we still don't know why it's running too rich? Can you see if you can find them cheaper? So I found out the retail on the inlet pulley is £194.00. Exhaust £234.00. and Cambelt kit £124.00 (Vauxhall recommended retail). I know I should be able to buy a quality belt kit for a lot less than that, maybe £70ish? but where to get the pulleys? Then I remembered Autovaux, adverts for which I've seen in various publications. I gave them a ring and was very impressed by their helpful advice and decided to order from them when they quoted me prices - genuine GM parts. Exhaust pulley £75.00. Inlet pulley £75.00 and belt kit £75.00. Really, all £75.00? maybe something strange here, but decided at that price to take a chance on it. Ordered at 13.20 hrs that day, arrived just after 13.00 hrs next day - free delivery - all present and correct including the 2 big pulley bolts and the fixing bolts for the timing kit, which I hadn't asked for and they didn't make any charge for.

So folks, take a look at their site. Although their name would seem to indicate they are heavily into Vauxhall/GM parts, they seem to also do generic service parts for other makes too. Following this positive experience I'm going to take a closer look at their website.

What's also very interesting (well I find it interesting anyway) is that the ecu is throwing up miss fire codes. I think I very briefly mentioned this in another post somewhere but can't remember where. I find this interesting because our wee 8 valve Fire engines can throw miss fire codes when the ecu gets "upset" about the relationship between the cam and crank sensors (usually means a "Phonic Wheel Relearn" procedure is needed). Well, with the VVT pulleys being scuppered on the Astra's engine it means the cam position sensor is sending the ecu a signal it's not expecting because the cam is "jiggling" about - due to the pulleys - which it is interpreting as a miss fire - just like our wee Fiats do! Interesting isn't it?

I dropped the parts out at the garage yesterday and spent a pleasant hour at my boy's house being "silly" with our new grandson (now about 12 weeks old). Work is due to start on the Astra today. So far about the only thing known about the emissions failure is that the o2 sensor is not switching and is sitting "high" at around 0.9 volts. Thankfully this engine doesn't have an egr. Maybe a vacuum leak? I'd be interested to see the fuel trims but must keep my nose out so as not to annoy. (I don't know this garage - the fellow seems very nice though and there's an immaculate '67 Cortina 1600E sitting outside the workshop! So he may be a man after my own heart. Just hope he's better with the diagnostic gear than me!

Good, no great, news! The Astra has passed it's MOT! The misfire turned out to be due to oil leaking from the inside of the cam cover down into the No3 plug recess - flooding would be a better word than leaking actually! The oil had got right up inside the coil's "nose" and, as this coil pack was quite old, (and these are not known for their reliability) a new coil pack and set of plugs was bought. It might have cleaned up? anyway I'm going to clean it and keep it as a spare.

Of course we already knew the VVT pulleys were knackered and, as I said above, I'd already procured new ones and a belt kit. I suspect the new coil pack might have cured the emissions problem but the pulleys desperately needed done anyway. The cam cover has to come off to lock up the cams so the cover gasket was attended to as well. I don't think a new gasket was bought though so I'll be keeping a very close eye on this for some time into the future.

With all it's new parts the engine is running really sweetly now (compressions were checked and declared to be "good"), so I think there's quite a bit of life in the "old girl" yet. it's got a new timing belt now too so maybe it'll make it to needing the next one? The plastic cam cover fitted to these engines is well known for warping. It also has an inbuilt breather valve, known to cause problems as they age, that is non renewable. So if the leak returns I think it'll mean a new cam cover complete.

What makes all this even sweeter is that his friend, who owns this small garage, has charged him "sweeties" in terms of labour. However he seems to "do" quite a few tradesmen's vans and they often need signage, wrapping, lettering after accident repairs or even just signage applied when someone purchases a new van or changes a 'phone number. Of course this is exactly what my boy does so I think the low labour charge may well be by way of an "investment" on the garage owners part. Regardless of motivation it's certainly much appreciated by us all. The fellow himself is actually a very pleasant chap to converse with so I've won out here too in that I've now got another technical person to speak to, ask questions of and seek support from with car related problems. Win Win I'd say.

I've left a bottle of Talisker with my boy to drop off in appreciation when he pays the bill on Monday.

Good news. :)

As an aside.. I tried the 'vauxshop'

For my punto handbrake cables..as its a Corsa D by another name

Not stocked.. so looks like it'll be an Ebay purchase

Europarts want £50..online is £25

The same cables.. so worth saving the money. :)

Just be careful to check before fitting. I had Borg and Beck cables fitted on the Bravo. They were a poor fit and worked loose nearly wrecking a brand new tyre. The fixing lugs were just not in the right place. I ended up with Fiat cables. More expensive but obviously a much better quality part. The actual cables were twice the thickness. Hope yours work well.

Back