Technical Cam belt wear

Currently reading:
Technical Cam belt wear

alaska

does anyone know what can make a 6 month old cambelt (6000 miles)
look like its done 20,000

Well, oil contamination is one thing. Recently the main oil seal went in my wife's diesel Multipla (90k miles), and I had to have the cambelt done at the same time as it was contaminted with oil.

Did you do it ? Or did a garage tell you that they did it....

Faith in human nature is a wonderful thing, I do everything I can myself now, or if I can't, I mark parts and ask for them after the job to see "wear and tear"...

I don't like paying for things that don't get done.

Otherwise... Belt on backwards ? Oil ? Not done up tight enough ? Too tight ? Alot of garages do it by eye... not good enough. I invested in a Facom tension tester about 90 quid and have never looked back.

The saga of the cambelt.

The dealer changed the cambelt last feb, the moment I picked it up it wasnt right it was really rough when idling and kept stalling, after i took it back they said one of the fuel injectors needed changing ( funny it went at the exact moment the cam belt was changed) so i had the injector changed, still playing up took it back dealer again they claim nothing wrong even though it looks and sounds as its only running on 3 cylinders (they didnt even take the cambelt cover off they just pluged it into a computer) I decided to take it to a independent garage who told me the cambelt was knackered so i had it changed again still playing up, so they changed one of the pulley wheels, still playing up so changed the waterpump, still playing up, so changed barrings, still not right even now. Today after a month of driving with the engine warning light on the car stalled 3 or 4 times but the engine warning light has stopped coming on. I give up all I want is a decent garage, the car was a dream to drive for the first month I owned it I just made the mistake of taking it to a fiat dealer for a service.

Yes I agree with Hellcat, sounds like they botched the belt change. If you don't use the engine locking tool on the 1.9 JTD for example, or fit the belt in a hurry you can easily slip a tooth out which would give what you describe. Otherwise a slack belt will wear fast and could slip out of time when very very worn.
I am not sure - but driving like this might not be very good for your valves/valve seats/guides which might be opening too early and getting burnt, and I might be wrong but there might be a risk of pumping semiburnt or unburned fuel into you cat convertor poisoning it...

Back