Technical Cam Belt Help

Currently reading:
Technical Cam Belt Help

adele1312

hi everyone, my names adele and this is my 1st post..

i wonder if anyone could advise please.

on sunday my neighbour borrowed mt 1.2 punto
and it broke down.
someone had a look for me and found that the cam belt hadnt broke,but has come off,and the pully is slack..

im now getting conflicting advice from people,
some say that as the neighbour tried to bump start the car,then it will have wreaked the engine the same as if it would have snapped.
others say it might be ok,but it will have to pay to have a new cam set fitted just to find out?

am i wasting my money just to be told its caused extensive damage to the engine?

has anyone eles had this problem?

many thanks

if its an 8v the engine should be ok, as its a 'safe' engine. - Meaning the cams wont ever come in contact with the valves so a snapped belt wont do any dammage to them.

Should just cost you replacement of the cam belt tensioners and water pump if you want that done at the same time (you dont have to, but may people recogmend they are done at the same time as the cambelt. Saves having to remove the belt should the old pump break a few months down the line.

If its a 16v its a totally different story. There is a great risk of having bent valves at the very least.

Last edited:
If its a 16v its a totally different story. There is a great risk of having bent valves at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Mdeko is bang on. I have checked mine if its a 1.2 fire engine then you are indeed safe (ish) the autodata book states that if the engine has not had the head skimmed then it is a freewheeling engine. a simple resetting of the timing and new belt you should be sorted. failing that i do head rebuilds for all cars. if you get stuck pm me

8v will need a new belt fitting and itll be fine

16v will be screwed, you will of heard some pretty nasty noises when it happened if this is the case.

Hi
I have a T reg punto 60 1.2 8valve and the belt has slipped. After fitting a new belt kit the engine wont start!!!! it just keeps backfiring i have checked the leads and coils and im obviously getting a spark. Has anyone got any ideas???

Thanks Eck.

Back