Technical cam belt broken!!

Currently reading:
Technical cam belt broken!!

marie90

Hello.
Im new here. . . My boyfriend has a uno pacer 1400. Not sure sure of the year but from the late 90's.
Anyway, the cam belt broke two nights ago. We bought a new one and been trying all day today to get it on right. Hes got it on but he needs to set the timing and we dont have a manual or any specs for it, so theres no point in putting it on and taking it off everytime if the timing isnt set right.
Can u help please???
Marie :confused:

Hi,
Just read your posting. i'm in Cape Town and have a manual for the UNO. It's in Adobe format so I can put it on a CD for you. Reply to this and let me have your contact number. I live in Milnerton.

If the cam belt has broken (snapped) your engine may be damaged correct me if iam wrong?

The older (Lampredi) ohc engines are NOT 'safe' engines if the cambelt snaps. You might be lucky, but chances are you've got some bent valves at least.

As for cambelt timing, you align the pulleys before putting the belt back on. That's all you need to do. Ignition time is set with a strobe though you shouldn't need to touch that if it's only the belt that's been changed. You MUST make sure the cambelt timing is correct before turning the engine over else you risk causing damage (or more damage) to the engine. If the cambelt timing IS correct and the engine won't fire/ run properly then you should do a compression test. This will show if any valves have been damaged.

If the engine has gone and lunched itself then now you've got a good excuse to fit a Tipo 1.6 engine ;)

Hello.
Im new here. . . My boyfriend has a uno pacer 1400. Not sure sure of the year but from the late 90's.
Anyway, the cam belt broke two nights ago. We bought a new one and been trying all day today to get it on right. Hes got it on but he needs to set the timing and we dont have a manual or any specs for it, so theres no point in putting it on and taking it off everytime if the timing isnt set right.
Can u help please???
marie....piston nr 1 must be up and then you take the dizzy cap of rotate the rotor to fire nr 1 and then you can just put the belt on and you reddy to go,but sometimes the engin can be damaged! if the belt is broken

hey!! thanks so much for ur help!!! he got it right eventually. . . got another problem though, but will make a new thread. ;)

hey!! thanks so much for ur help!!! he got it right eventually. . . got another problem though, but will make a new thread. ;)

So - just for our information... ;)

Can we have confirmation that the cambelt broke on the 1372cc engine and you didn't have any bent valves? Like the others, I'm surprised. A photo or two of the engine would help to confirm what type it is, if you could do that for us (y)

Was the other problem simply the brake/reverse lights not working?

Thanks,
-Alex

yes one of the valves are bent.... realised that after we put the cam belt back on. took it to a mechanic the other day. its going to really expensive to fix (n) with all the trouble that uno has given, i dont know why he doesnt just sell it?!? he has spent more money on fixing it then the actual price he bought it for!!! silly silly man :cool:

yes one of the valves are bent.... realised that after we put the cam belt back on. took it to a mechanic the other day. its going to really expensive to fix (n) with all the trouble that uno has given, i dont know why he doesnt just sell it?!? he has spent more money on fixing it then the actual price he bought it for!!! silly silly man :cool:

Thanks for this update - sorry to hear that the work is ongoing but it is something you could undertake yourself (removing+replacing the cylinder head) - those sorts of job are time-intensive and therefore workshop labour is expensive.

A car, even a simple one like the Uno, is a complicated mechanical device. It needs maintenance. If maintenance is not done, things like the cambelt break and then repairs are needed. It's quite logical and not really 'trouble' as you put it, not like the sort of trouble you get from people, who are random...

Yes, the cost of repairs and maintenance can exceed the purchase price of a car. But that is just how it is :)

By the way, it's usually not possible to "just sell it" while it's broken, and when it's fixed, you might as well get the value of out it (y)

Anyway best of luck with sorting it out...!
-Alex

ja i understand, i wish he had mantained it better - then we wouldnt have all these problems. money was scare back when it should have been replaced, and he made a few stupid decisions which resulted in todays problem.

aniwho, thanks for all the advice. will most probably be back for more ;)

I do mine once a year but as I have a fire engine that is just for personal convenience. (basically every 2nd service). R125 a year is not such a bad price to pay.

Hello.
Can u help please???

\
Hi there guys.
Im also new here and need help.
I think ive got the same problem as the lady above.
I reasently bought a secondhand Uno Pacer 1400sx with Weber Carb.I bought is as is from the previous owner ,tha day before I got it from him ,the timong belt came off.
I did replace it ,but the timing belt cover is missing .So I need to know is there someone whom can help me set the timing corectly.I know that the Pullys must be Aligned and all of that ,also the nr1 piston must be at the top and the rotor on fire according to nr 1 piston.bla bla ,But my issue is the top pully (dont know what you guys call it)where the timing belt comes over ,Its got the little mark to aling it but were exactly must it aling to.it cant be straight in lign with the flywheelor ring gear.cause the 2 pully at the top isnt right above the bottom one????? if you know what I mean.And if its bent a Valve how can I know this without dismantling the motor (or head from block).Ive tried to start it and it some times back fires from the axhaust and other times just golps air from the carburator????????

hey guys, im new here. i recently
acquired a 1993 uno pacer 1400 with the
motor completely stripped. i just finished
assembling the motor and got the car
ready to start. can anyone tell me where
the timing marks are? to what must the cut on the camshaft pulley align? thanx

Back