Calling all engineers

Currently reading:
Calling all engineers

I am trying to write the volumetric flow rate and mass flow rate equations for a orifice plate, i.e. Q/M with a dot above, does anybody know how to do this in word? Tom hopefully?

Looked through aslong as my eyes could stay open with all the letters, it's just a V with a dot above it to signify it's a volumetric flow rate and not a volume. I need MS equation editor too, it might be on that, however, stupid me left his XP CDs at home, oh crap! :(

This day gets worse...

I did it!

Attachments

• yay finally!.JPG
    yay finally!.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 72
I'll let you know when I understand it! It's something to do with working out the volumetric flow rate (i.e. volume of fluid, in this case air, through an area/given time) from pressures read from the manometer (pressure gauge) considering something else like densities etc. Not sure 100% yet, it's my lab report. We spent 3 hours getting results, it was so boring! I basically have to find the velocity profile (velocities accross a diameter) of a pipe - at the pipe walls, the friction on the fluid means it doesn't flow.

Blah blah blah...

Anyway, I managed to find I had installed eqn editor when I loaded XP (genius :p).

Argh. No, not again. Orifice plates hurt.
I just stick the dot on one line and the Q on the one below. or just stick dQ/dt in. (If thats the right differential :s)

I found Equation editor the other day, try that. My copy appears to have uninstalled itself:(

DOne it all cheers Tom, nicely done with Q properly dotted with Eqn used.

dQ/dt in theory is exactly the same thing so should be given equal credit.

I've given up on that for tonight, got notes to write up :(

I regret dropping physics now...it's so cool. Biology is looking a bit pathetic in comparison. :(

Heat transfer makes me cry, as does Systems Engineering - thats basically looking at mathematical transforms all the time- loads of ways of doing the same thing!! Not good!! :(

I would send you some of the notes Kirsty but it would cause sleepiness lol

I never got along with biog, could do it very well and if i had more interest, I would I suppose have done medicine as I think I said to you before. Biology is just pointless learning IMO, physics, chemistry and maths (not so much maths) is thinking logically. The feeling of it making sense is wicked :D

SO far chem eng has been everything I enjoyed in physics, chemistry and maths in one.

If you want boring Tom, in terms of doing stupid stuff time and time again, you should have done D1 (decisions) for your A level maths, I did it in my further maths AS before I failed to get into Oxford (which meant I decided not to take the exam a few weeks before the end of year 13). Basically you can learn 2 methods on how to sort out numbers in ascending/descending order or how to visit every node on a map once without repeating any routes, wahoo, exciting! lol *sarcasm*

Oh, I never claimed what im doing is boring...I find it very interesting, I just dont remotely understand it!

So it's not just me then :p

David, don't worry, unless you're intending to join me and work for Shell in the middle east, you don't need to have a clue what I am talking about.

Back