calling all bravo 1.8 owners

Currently reading:
calling all bravo 1.8 owners

A

Anonymous

any one every had a plug and play chip installed in their 1.8, was thinking of getting one but i dont know how good they are, any one who has had one installed on here?

gaz

Don't think you can get a "plug and play" chip for the 1.8. I think people on here have said that its a sealed unit. Toms the man to ask if he's on.

yeah you can i think it either plugs into the diagnostic port on the ecu or solders in sumwhere!, wondering whether it actually does anything noticable, the bloke in the shop said "it should give u 10% increase". but id prefer to take sum ones word on here whos actually had it done

You can get a piggyback ECU, but they are ~£500. If this 'plug and play' thing is drastically cheaper then I'd assume its one of the e-bay 'chips' and should be avoided like the plague.

I've got a 1.8 but never heard of a chip for it.

Ins.

in16.jpg

Dec '97 1.8GT / 114,500 miles (New engine @ 77,000)
Current Status: ABS light on but otherwise great :)

I would like a chip for my 115 too. post a link to the chip please. any one else have any links to chips for mk hlx 115??

ade

Dastek is the way to go Mr or Mrs 1.8 owners! Check it out...
eba00501992f00000013.jpg

Sorry about the size of the pic! Can't make it any bigger using fotango :(
It's 128bhp max :D

yeah the chip is by dastek (i think) about £170 somthing, its preset chip that jus plugs into or solders into your current ecu and they do make it for the 1.8 bravo, as i was shown it 2day in a catalogue down the local tuning garage, 128bhp sounds v. good i might well give it a try, if so i'll keep you posted on the results

gaz

It doesn't plug into the ECU. It fits into the engine wiring loom.

And it will need to be tuned to YOUR car. They come blank.

last i heard you'd pay another £400 for tuning it. its best only spending that, if your going for cams and stuff too, and get the dastek tuned after all that.

Buzz (formerly LightWarrior)
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
Owner of the Bravo 1.8
Member Page

If you're gonna spend £170 then another £400 after buying other bits, you might as well just buy a HGT :)

Ins.

in16.jpg

so your saying that you can get an hgt for 570 quid lol

one problem with hgt's the kits from other bravo's dont fit it.

i've got a 1.8 hlx and would love to have an hgt be inurance is a lot less 1.8 = £418 HGT = £1107. for that money i could insure a coupe but i love the look of the bravo.

where as i can have a 1.8 with induction, full stainless exhaust, de-cat pipe, manifold, lightened and balanced flywheel etc for £498 a year. if i got cams and chipped i'd still only be looking at £598 insurance. and i dont think it'd be too far short of the hgt power.

yeah my problem is insurance my 1.8 = 650 fully comp and for some reason the hgt jumps up to £2000, i expected a rise in premium but didnt expect that much, dont wana spend £1000 on my car to make it fast. ill jus have to wait untill next year :( may be my insurnace will be affordable when iam 21

gaz

anyone got a link to the chip??? and who can fit in northwest area namely manchester/wigan? could really do with having some decent info to read. everything i find is foreign???? are there any others beside dastek?

ade

Another possible option that i've half looked into but not finished researching yet is to swap the head out for 1 from a punto 1.8 HGT as thats got a variator etc but again i would think that the ecu would need a dastek or similiar to redo the timing .

Go buy a JTD... thats my penny's worth.. carry on :)

tommytag.jpg

Tommy K - Have you got the Bottle!!

"so your saying that you can get an hgt for 570 quid lol"

Nope, thats not what I said :) My point was that if you're going to spend £570 trying to get your car faster, why not sell up and buy an HGT? They can be picked up pretty cheap these days.

If it's down to insurance then you might want to consider how much you'd be paying on a modified 1.8 compared to an HGT. There might not be that much difference.

-

If there was a mod/chip/tune/whatever that could make the 1.8 more economical I'd be interested but to make it go faster? Na, I'd only kill myself :)

Ins.

in16.jpg

Sorry to poke my nose in...

I am 21, have a 155 HGT.

I have no years no claims (due to bas**rd torching my old HGT) and a claim on my insurance.

I called 'Admiral' and my insurance is £1100 roughly.

i thought thats was a bargin.
Try shopping round for insurance!

PrØ