Technical caliper/disc upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical caliper/disc upgrade

charlieboy

Prominent member
soon or once insurance permits it im thinking of bigger brakes and calipers.
maybe brembo or ap racing something like that

whats available for the mk1 punto running the gt3 alloys? how bigger discs and callipers will i be able tog et behind them.

if need be maybe will get 16's on the car.

thanks for anyones time

charlie

depends what you want to do. how much you want to spend.

AFAIK no company makes a caliper upgrade kit for the mk1 punto.

i know of someone who can make up a kit consisting of wilwood calipers with rotors to match. under 16's i believe.

is your car a GT? if not, why not a cheap and easy upgrade to GT calipers all round.

PuntoboyGT said:
depends what you want to do. how much you want to spend.

AFAIK no company makes a caliper upgrade kit for the mk1 punto.

i know of someone who can make up a kit consisting of wilwood calipers with rotors to match. under 16's i believe.

is your car a GT? if not, why not a cheap and easy upgrade to GT calipers all round.

Red Dot does it and HiSpec does it.

i got a sporting.

just after bigger better brakes, got no idea what company to go for although willwood are a name i recognise along with brembo and ap-racing.

PuntoboyGT said:
i know of someone who can make up a kit consisting of wilwood calipers with rotors to match. under 16's i believe
you mean under 16" wheels or under 16" meaning smaller than 16" wheels?

what size are the gt discs? and arent they a tad hard to get hold of.

ideally id be looking to upgrade the front for more stopping power without having to fork out for a set of new wheels.

any links to places and prices would be greatly apreciated, thanks

charlie

sorry i mean within 16" wheels.

i didn't realise HiSpec or Red Dot make conversion kits, any details?

charlieboy, if i were you, as you don't need serious stopping power, it to get GT calipers all round, GT disks are not hard to get hold of at all. just as easy as any other car.

You can fit upto 284mm disc + calipers under a 15" wheel.

:confused: My mums car has 308mm vented discs and calipers at the front from a 1994 audi RS2 (which are porshe derived and built, it says porshe on the calipers), just bolted right onto a 1996A6 quattro, the rears were rotten so we didn't get them, just some red.dot pads on the rear on original discs.
Amasing boost in performace, as typically audi brakes are overservoed, it took me and my dad 2days to push back in the cyl in the audi brakes into their bores!! Original discs were some 280mm anyway, but the porshe ones are excellent!! damn site lighter too!! they must be about 1.4kg as appose to some 3kg+

If you increase the size of the front disc you will need a bias valve to balance the braking between the front and rear brakes. When I upgraded my tipo brakes I got around this by changing from solid discs to vented of same size.

What size are your discs now? There was someone who upgraded their brakes to some huge things that filled 17" wheels. Can someone find and see what he said about the handling?

6pots would be a bit pointless on a punto, they just aren't big nor heavy enough.

If I wanted to upgrade the brakes I would go for Willwood Ultralite 4pots, not that pricey and weigh something stupid light like 700g per caliper!!
They also do matching Ti discs.

In the mountainbiking world there was a guy with a mild downhill hardtail, and he put hope Ti 6pots on it, and was just overkill, didn' stop any quicker than mono M4's as it would just lock wheels uncontrollable.

how would i have to go about changing drums for discs? engineers reports too right?

oh and one day im gonna get discs for by bike not 6-pot though lol, some nice hydraulic discs for my onza t-mag 20" trials bike :slayer: although magura hs33's are awesome!
:Offtopic: buy its brake related lol...

...back to the car. what size would the rear discs be? can you not just get better calipers - IE - when change to GT discs? oh and whats involved with putting GT disc/calipers on the front?

charlie

Back