Cable modem/wifi advice

Currently reading:
Cable modem/wifi advice

Right, should be an easy one for you cable guys!

A works colleague has just bought a laptop, and had cable installed recently at her house - it is NTL, although I did advise her otherwise [and yes, they missed their first appointment time ;)]

So the next thing she wants is to go wireless.

She has the NTL cable modem - now she wants a wireless router and a PCMCIA card for her lappy [it should have had built-in wifi, and sold as such, but she has decided to keep it and let them refund some money that will go towards this purchase].

So any advice? I have only dealt with ADSL not cable routers....

Got US Robotics at home wireless router with 4port switch attached. Seems to work very well and very easy to set up... Wouldn't recommend the US Robotics WIFI card though that was much more hastle to set up, I'd go for Linksys or 3COM, or D-Link

custard boy said:
did ntl not offer a wireless install? may be worth approaching them as telewest did(does?) a set up for about £10/£20 extra
No idea, she did speak to the 'cable guy' about it when he turned up - not sure what she ordered initally :chin: - if she is on MSN, I will ask her...

Alex said:
Got US Robotics at home wireless router with 4port switch attached. Seems to work very well and very easy to set up... Wouldn't recommend the US Robotics WIFI card though that was much more hastle to set up, I'd go for Linksys or 3COM, or D-Link
Cheers for that - I will have a look on eBuyer for it - she has got an account set up with them, so can get delivered to work address.

I noted eBuyer do one similar http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52629

I presume you just plug the NTL modem into the back of this, using an ethernet cable?

I use a 3com router with built-in modem, plus I use ADSL - reason why I am asking ;)

Stuart DemonD said:
I presume you just plug the NTL modem into the back of this, using an ethernet cable?

Spot on... then you can add as many other things ethernet/wi-fi devices as you need.

Mine is also ethernet (and USB) but have heard stories of USB ones only being used which means it can't be used with most routers which obviously only have an ethernet input for the WAN.

The Negotiator said:
Mine is also ethernet (and USB) but have heard stories of USB ones only being used which means it can't be used with most routers which obviously only have an ethernet input for the WAN.

you can get a USB to WAN adaptor for the modem, telewest do usually give LAN modems though, if not you can always buy one, there not very expensive. If you tell Telewest, they may be able to give you a compatable LAN modem anyway.

Back