General Bye, Bye Stilo

Currently reading:
General Bye, Bye Stilo

sduffield

Hi Guys

Just to say after 3 years of happy Stilo ownership (well neally happy as only problem I had was the standard airbag light issue), I'm trading the trusty old 52-reg Stilo 1.6 for an 04-plate Nissan Primera 2.2 dCi SVE (includes SatNav). Didn't want to get rid of the Stilo (it's been a work-horse since purchased, and has been to Disneyland Paris twice), but I need something larger with more "toys".

Mind you, had a good deal for the Stilo (£3,000 trade-in at a place in Hull but I live in Birmingham)

Steve

:( sad to hear your leaving but your welcome to stay around & post:)

(I have spare sat nav screen for primera if ou ever need it,they start flickering & fail so check it carefully)

Hi T14086. I'll still stay in the forum, as it's the most informative one around, and I would love to find out what the Stilo replacement is like.

Thanks for the advice on the SatNav screen. I'll keep this in mind.

Steve

Hi Guys

Just to say after 3 years of happy Stilo ownership (well neally happy as only problem I had was the standard airbag light issue), I'm trading the trusty old 52-reg Stilo 1.6 for an 04-plate Nissan Primera 2.2 dCi SVE (includes SatNav). Didn't want to get rid of the Stilo (it's been a work-horse since purchased, and has been to Disneyland Paris twice), but I need something larger with more "toys".

Mind you, had a good deal for the Stilo (£3,000 trade-in at a place in Hull but I live in Birmingham)

Steve

Interesting. Over here, the 2004 Primera would be worth £1000-£3000 LESS than the 2002 Stilo you just traded in! :)
see http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cat...8=0&24=2003&24=2005&searchregion=100&x=37&y=4

-Alex

Does the Stilo exist in Australia Alex, from what I recall when visiting a year ago, I didnt see any around, so is it only for the NZ market that Fiat make them.

FIAT in NZ and now Australia

Hi badkilla,
No new FIATs existed in Australia after the not-very-successful Croma (1985-86 ish). So much like the US, the only FIATs you see are 70s models like the 124 Spider and 124 Coupe, 128, 850 Coupe, and the X1/9 of course. There are some Regatas kicking around. I did see a private-import 1998 Coupe at an Italian car show in Canberra.

Then, all of a sudden and out of the blue, the New Zealand FIAT importer launched the Grande Punto in Australia last year! I expect that new models will be sold there, but not the existing models like the Stilo. It's quite ambitious considering that the NZ market is not exactly saturated (there's no FIAT dealer where I live in Hamilton, the fifth-largest city!)

Here in NZ we have had a steady trickle of FIATs over the years. The Uno was very popular, until the advent of the Japanese imports in 1991-ish which basically killed the market for cheap and basic new cars. I have seen a total of *two* base-model Uno Mk2 45s, for example! And I think both of those were private imports. There are some Mk1 Punto 55S models around.

The Doblo, the Cinquecento, and the Seicento never appeared here at all. The Ducato sells fairly well, particularly as an ambulance! And the Multipla got off to a strong start, though it seems to be one of those long-time models.

I think the Stilo sold pretty well considering the rarity of the Brava/Bravo and Marea before it. The Abarth seems to be the most popular model - FIAT only sold two versions of the Stilo in NZ, 1.6 and Abarth. I've seen three or four in Hamilton! But mine's the only purple one ;)

Now we're even seeing a number of Punto Mk2s brought in as Jap used imports! Usually the HGT model.

To get back on topic, there are hundreds of Nissan Primeras in Hamilton :) Guaranteed there will be a choice of several at every used-car dealer!

I just looked up the new vehicle registrations (including used imports) for 2005 (230,313 cars registered), and that made some fascinating reading (for a few minutes at least).
There were 347 Alfa Romeos registered in 2005, which is 0.1% of the total.
There were 148 FIATs... 0.06% (19 of this 148 were used imports)
and oddly enough, 27 Ferraris... 0.01%

There was one Lancia, one IVECO...
which compares well against one De Lorean, one Jensen... etc.
Two Protons, two Reliants, and two TVRs. :)

Eight Range Rovers, 21 Maseratis, and 387 Porsches (1.7%).

There were 33,147 Nissans registered (14.4% of the total).

I doubt that Alfa Romeo outsells FIAT two-to-one in the UK?

see http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/statistics/motor-vehicle-registration/docs/2005.pdf

-Alex

Last edited:
Back