Bye Bye 500

Currently reading:
Bye Bye 500

Decided to change both my 500 and Panda 100HP for a Mito. I can only drive one at a time anyway.
Don't quite understand why I've fallen out with the 500, I loved it at first, but I think I just bought the wrong version and I wouldn't rule out an Abarth at some stage.
It'll be the first time since 1994 that I've not driven a Fiat, barring a very short interlude in a Clio.
I'm still going to hang around here though.:) There will shortly be an ad in the classifieds for my Magneti rear box which has only been on the car for around 80 miles.

Decided to change both my 500 and Panda 100HP for a Mito. I can only drive one at a time anyway.
Don't quite understand why I've fallen out with the 500, I loved it at first, but I think I just bought the wrong version and I wouldn't rule out an Abarth at some stage.
It'll be the first time since 1994 that I've not driven a Fiat, barring a very short interlude in a Clio.
I'm still going to hang around here though.:) There will shortly be an ad in the classifieds for my Magneti rear box which has only been on the car for around 80 miles.
Best of luck with the Mito dude :) Do hang around too :)

you trading it in? I do like the mitos, just not sure on the dash. Do they come with a full 3 yr warranty?

Yes trading both in, so no money changing hands. 1.4 Lusso - same engine as in the 100HP albeit in a slightly heavier car, but 0-60 is not that different.
It's a two year manufactures warranty, one year dealer, although dealer has told me the 3rd year is same spec. Dash is lovely, but so is the 500.

Yes trading both in, so no money changing hands. 1.4 Lusso - same engine as in the 100HP albeit in a slightly heavier car, but 0-60 is not that different.
It's a two year manufactures warranty, one year dealer, although dealer has told me the 3rd year is same spec. Dash is lovely, but so is the 500.
I like the dash too. Certainly feels a lot higher quality than the 500.

Thats not a bad deal. I think any alfa with leather seats looks fantastic. I think the dash would grow on me, more the carbon effect part, the rest looks great. To be fair I only even seen one in the flesh inside,basic spec.
Good luck with your new car and post some pics up.

Had a MiTo for a month, 155 BHP top of the range version, did 1000 miles in it. Preferred the Abarth, much quicker and so much more fun to drive! I didn't appreciate how bad the MiTo was until i got back in the Abarth!

Your choice though, good luck (y)

Yea, and a Porsche would be even quicker, but it's not all about bombing around in a small car at full tilt all the time and getting through more tyres than an F1 car. Your choice though(y)

Yea, and a Porsche would be even quicker, but it's not all about bombing around in a small car at full tilt all the time and getting through more tyres than an F1 car. Your choice though(y)

Amen to that. I drive fast enough to scare the wife around corners (she's a squeamish driver if ever there was one), but I don't see the point in driving silly fast on public roads and wearing out tyres for nothing.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in driving silly fast on public roads and wearing out tyres for nothing.

Not for nothing, for fun!

My brother spent a few hours driving my Abarth with me on Saturday on some great roads in Fife.

He said he's not had so much fun driving a car for years.

He does owns a W reg 1.2 Corsa though!

306Maxi said:
I don't see the point in driving silly fast on public roads and wearing out tyres for nothing.

Which is fine, of course, until there's that tractor pulling out/broken down car/cyclist/pedestrian etc. that you haven't seen that you go ****ting into at "silly fast".

Never understood the attraction of driving silly fast (ie, pushing the limits of driver/car) on public roads, where's the challenge?

*Waits for the prude/idiot/nanny state comments*

Which is fine, of course, until there's that tractor pulling out/broken down car/cyclist/pedestrian etc. that you haven't seen that you go ****ting into at "silly fast".

Never understood the attraction of driving silly fast (ie, pushing the limits of driver/car) on public roads, where's the challenge?

*Waits for the prude/idiot/nanny state comments*

the whole point of driving a small Fiat is that you can push the limits and feel like you are driving fast

the other day i spanked my 500 at full throttle and 6k revs out of a roundabout with a big grin on my face

looked down and i was doing 40mph

perfectly legally :cool:

I was more talking about those who choose to use the roads as their own little "test track", but each to their own. Personally, I'd rather be pushing it in a controlled environment (less risky) with proper timing kit (more challenging) but YMMV.

I was more talking about those who choose to use the roads as their own little "test track", but each to their own. Personally, I'd rather be pushing it in a controlled environment (less risky) with proper timing kit (more challenging) but YMMV.

i enjoy driving in an enthusiastic but legal manner most times i drive my 500

but i also do trackdays where you can really explore the limits of the car and your driving ability

anyone that says they can/have driven to or over the limit of their car on the road is talking out of their anus and clearly do not know what performance driving is

ragging tyres, overheating brakes and generally hooning like a max power **** is not driving (n)

My brother spent a few hours driving my Abarth with me on Saturday on some great roads in Fife.

He said he's not had so much fun driving a car for years.

He does owns a W reg 1.2 Corsa though!
I think you misunderstand me. I drive fairly quickly and most corners are taken purely with a little lift of throttle and maybe dropping down a cog. But I don't see the point of hammering the crap out of my car on the daily commute and accelerating only to brake and get rid of that energy. I accelerate fairly gently and get up to speed which is usualy the limit +/- 10mph depending on where I am and stay there by not braking hard and picking a good line through the corners and driving gently so as to maintain speed. I'm sure if I wanted to hammer through corners I could have gone through another set of tyres and drop my average mpg by 5mpg but what's the point? It's just wasteful driving. I'm happy with the fact that I've done 12mm and neither set of tyres I've got are even 30% worn :)

ragging tyres, overheating brakes and generally hooning like a max power **** is not driving (n)

(y)

If we're to use a motorsport analogy my driving style is more Juha Kankkunen than Colin McRae. I still make decent progress but I take care of the car.

Back