Buying the right amp

Currently reading:
Buying the right amp

Hi All,

Via PM, I have asked Stu quite a few questions regarding buying an amp to power the sub I bought from him.

As there is a lot others could get from the answers, who are also looking for an amp, Stu thought it would be a good idea to start a topic outlining some of these Q & A.

1. Will Hertz HE4 Amplifier power DLS RW10i whilst powering my front door speakers in a 4 - channel setup?

It is a single 2 ohm coil which is almost definitely not going to work bridged on your amp. Most class A/B amps will only accept a 4 ohm final load when bridging channels

2. Okay so that amp isnt suitable, I'm struggling to find one with a similar specification - can I buy an amp for example, that has a 300W RMS where the subwoofer only has 250W RMS?

Overpowering is always better, as long as you are sending a clean signal its very difficult to blow a sub.

Also you have something called a Gain pot. Ill try and explain it.

If your head unit puts out 3Volts of RCA signal.
A 250w RMS amp will need the gain set to 3Volts to get the most from it.
This means that the amp is working very hard.
A 400w RMS amp will only need to be set around 2.5volts.
This means it wont have to work as hard to produce 250w RMS. Therefore it wont be strained and will produce better quality sound.

3. I've found an amp rated at 300W RMS, will this power the subwoofer?

That would be good. I would say you could easily go up to 400 if source sound are going to tune it for you.

Hope this helps anybody that maybe as confused as I was when I started looking for an amp to power my sub. Obviously there are many other factors to consider when purchasing an amp, such as Signal to Noise ratio and the frequencies it can handle etc, but RMS was the one I found the most misleading.

Sam

Back