General Buying a stilo

Currently reading:
General Buying a stilo

Hello guys after 2 years away from fiat I'm finally back and will be buying a stilo in the next week.

But before I do I need to know what to look out for. E.g. rust issues, engine problems what to stay clear from. Best engine and worst ect. No 2.4 I'm looking for anything below 2l diesel or petrol.I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Thanks guys its great to be back.

The following is from my personal experience: the diesels are the ones to get. I've had two 1.6 petrols and they drank the fuel. My 1.9 Multijet is great on fuel and pretty quick.
Rust on a Stilo is quite rare. Check for broken springs, any dash warning lights that come up (most can be ignored - the cars have very temperamental electrics. Batteries that aren't fully charged can cause a plethora of electrical problems)
The build quality is really quite flaky so check nothings broken or falling off. Also check for corroded alloy wheels.
Those things are the only things I've experienced but people have experienced many, many more and the list is exhaustive.

However the Stilo is nice to drive, it's really quiet and the ride is quite comfortable (body roll on the 5 door is pronounced) The 5 door is huge inside and the sliding seats are brilliant. They're also crammed with loads of useful kit. I love mine

I have a 2006 1.4 5 door. There is not a speck of rust anywhere on the body and reliability has been first class over 77,000 miles; just a broken battery earth strap, replacement radiator and a new rear brake caliper over and above normal service items.
The 1.4 engine is a dream. It feels great in any gear and cruises at 80mph all day. I find build quality is good - the interior still looks like new and paintwork is excellent. Never had a problem with electrics, in fact I would say these are one of the great features of the car - lights that all go off when the ignition is turned off, handy warning for failed bulbs, nice interior lighting, window opening function with key fob from outside etc etc.

Last edited:
02 1.2 here. Had the dreaded Stilo clocks problem but solved now and had a stronger battery car runs like a dream. Not the fastest car in the world but i have my fun on the bike. Took mine down to Trier in Germany and was happy at 80mph all day. East Lothian to Germany and back averaged 44mpg Dont welly through the gears and 40+ town driving is achievable. Mine is only around 48k so engine is still strong and tight. Does not use oil and never replaced much. Mid and rear exhaust. eBay and DIY made that a cheap job and easy to do and tyres last year. Cracking motor. Oh. Tax is around 90 quid for six month what is a bit crap but the great MPG makes up for that.

Multi-Wagon 1.9 8v JTD 115bhp Owner

Great car, I can average on a 350mile trip around 64mpg or 43mpg around town, mechanically the 8v is prone to less expensive common issues than the more powerful 16v Multijet, but with both its down to Neglect, if you get a well serviced and maintained example your laughing.

Common issues to look for are:-

front and rear suspension bushes
Holding back on the engine when you stick your foot into the rug
smoke (as with any diesel)
if you go for a skyroof model be careful, open it before you buy as they have issues.
but if you are a returning Fiat owner, you know what they are like, they are just like all Fiats, 50% of the time crap, 50% of the time amazing!

Davren can you look into this? My Stilo buyer's guide has disappeared! There are no Stilo FAQs showing in the FAQ section..?!!!

Phil.... your 'most excellent' (y) buyer's guide hasn't disappeared, it's just moved.

Instead of having a seperate FAQs section, we now have a sticky thread titled... wait for it....... "Stilo FAQs" here: https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/424450-stilo-faqs.html That thread contains links to all of the FAQs, including yours. ;)

'Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator'

That's what comes up when I click on the link. The other links work OK so I can't be the fact I'm using my mobile phones browser. No idea why it's not working ❓

My suggestion is to get a late model , so that all the gremlins had been solved before it was made .
I had a 1.2 (02)which was not fast but did 160k before tradein and turned in around 50mpg. We have a 1.4 (54) which has now done 65k which has more performance than the 1.2 but uses a bit more petrol.
Once you get over the looks of the 5 door you are rewarded by a very useful sized and economical car.

I've had a '54 plate 1.4 Stilo Active Sport for the last three years. I get the pi** taken out of me by the boys in work in their evos and ST's but My car is on the road more than theirs and has an awful lot less problems. Apart from general wear and tear, it has given me three faultless years of pleasurable driving. Had the (common) rear axle bushes done about a year ago and what a difference. Had a starter motor two years ago but apart from that....brilliant reliable car. Sevice it regularly and look after it and I'm sure it will look after you. As for rust, I have a tiny patch on the nearside bottom wheel arch and a slight bubble at the front of the bonnet but they were there when I got it and haven't grown. The Stilo is I think recognised as a car that Fiat built properly! My wife has a Grande Punto and that thing is a pile of poo compared to my Stilo and she got hers brand new in 2007. Six gears make motorway driving a doddle and as has been said, it will cruise at 80 all day with no effort.
I love my Stilo......there, I said it! (y)

Davren can you look into this? My Stilo buyer's guide has disappeared! There are no Stilo FAQs showing in the FAQ section..?!!!

'Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator'

That's what comes up when I click on the link. The other links work OK so I can't be the fact I'm using my mobile phones browser. No idea why it's not working ❓

All the sticky links work for me...except the buyers guide!:bang:

The link should be working for everyone now.

Thanks guys for your help sorry on the late reply its been a busy week, I've been searching for the right stilo and I think I may of found the right stilo.

It's a dark red, 54 plate stilo with 88k miles and has 6 months mot. I'm viewing it tomorrow. I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the timing belts need changing also if it snaps does it smash the head. It's a 1.4 16v. Just as I'm buying from a garage they don't know if its been changed.

One last thing the clutch what are they like, when are people replacing them in term of how many miles before replacement, is there anything I should know interms of a bad or good clutch, biting point ect.

I hope you all don't mind just I want to be sure its the right stilo for me. I had the fiat bravo 57 plate 1.4 active so I have a good idea as if I remember right its the same engine in the stilo to the bravo.

Thanks again guys. If I buy the stilo you all will be the first to see some photos.

Your right ish on the engine, its the same basic block but there are difference to the inlet and exhaust. the 1.4 16v engine is the engine of choice now for the hot heads with the cento's that want more power, there has to be something good about it for so many to fit them in the cento over a 1.2 16v.

Yes, if the belt goes it makes a mess but a belt can be done on one of these engines in about a hour, its silly how easy they are to do so wouldn't worry too much, just get it done once you have bought it.

if the price is right I would personally go for it if the car is solid and straight.

Personally the only engine I think is better than the 1.4 in the Stilo is the JTD but that's purely on Fuel Eco.

Back