General Buying a stilo

Currently reading:
General Buying a stilo

Sorted4

Well im back was on here few yrs ago had a fiat brava unfortunately it didnt survive scrappage scheme and now got a 306 hdi. I have been offered a 1.9 JTD 2001 model at a very cheap price. Unfortuantely it has some probs wonder if anyone could tell me most common faults, as i got good advice with my brava on here. 1st fault airbag light fashing, what could this be, 2nd fault preheat warning light flashing, again what could this be. Engine sounded spot on but a few other question when cambelts due on these this one has done over 100k, is the 1.9 or 2.0 JTD engine same a 2.0 HDI engine out a peugeot, would it have a particulate filter. The price of the car is good but if it going to cost loads to fix i mite just walk away.

Do not buy a Stilo! I have had mine for just under 2 years and have had nothing but problems with it. I wish I'd read this forum before purchasing mine. My first MOT cost me £300 - something wrong with the wishbone, suspension, wheel arch etc. The dash likes to light up like a Christmas tree! Some new fault every day! My exhaust has recently fallen off for the 2nd time and to top it all I am now having to look around for a new gearbox as a pin has just broken through the casing and there is now oil leaking out. :bang:

I thought the car was fab when I bought it with all its mod cons inside and the overall look was nice. But after all the above faults, I've decided that I'll definitely steer clear of Stilo's in the future! But that's just my advice. I would definitely read some of the other topics on here about common problems before making your mind up. Hope that's of some help :)

Well im back was on here few yrs ago had a fiat brava unfortunately it didnt survive scrappage scheme and now got a 306 hdi. I have been offered a 1.9 JTD 2001 model at a very cheap price. Unfortuantely it has some probs wonder if anyone could tell me most common faults, as i got good advice with my brava on here. 1st fault airbag light fashing, what could this be, 2nd fault preheat warning light flashing, again what could this be. Engine sounded spot on but a few other question when cambelts due on these this one has done over 100k, is the 1.9 or 2.0 JTD engine same a 2.0 HDI engine out a peugeot, would it have a particulate filter. The price of the car is good but if it going to cost loads to fix i mite just walk away.

Hi,

For another point of view !!
Ok so the airbag fault common as cow crap could be a loose plug/socket under the seat.
Preheat fault could be a glow plug gone ,
cambelt should be done every 5 years or 60k ( i think!!)
Not sure of the engine fitment in other makes so won't comment.
As for costs glowplug about a tenner , cambelt kit can be bought for about £80 which includes tensioner etc, labour is around 3 hours.
As for the airbag light well i,m guessing thats just a time thing checking plugs etc.
My Stilo JTD MW has done 125k and is still sweet.
have look through the forum as there is loads of postive and negative feedback on stilos, then decide whether to gor for it or not.
I guess we pay our money and take a chance!

Good luck with whatever you decide

Cheers for now,

If the price is right it could be a good buy. The airbag light is a common fault many threads on here to fix, I replaced the connectors under the seats (3 dr) on mine and solved it. The pre-heat is probably a faulty glow plug another easy fix. Will be a 1.9 engine either 80 or 115 bhp 8v and not the same as Peugeot, and no particulate filter. Worth doing the cambelt and the waterpump too at that mileage, easy DIY if you are that way inclined. About £150 for timing belt kit and pump. Check inner wear on front tyres, if wishbones are gone, about £40 on e-bay etc.

As with any car this age you get the odd niggle, as do all cars, but parts aren't that expensive and as I said if the price is right, could be a bargain. 50 mpg, Tax and insurance cheap as well.

Do not buy a Stilo! I have had mine for just under 2 years and have had nothing but problems with it. I wish I'd read this forum before purchasing mine. My first MOT cost me £300 - something wrong with the wishbone, suspension, wheel arch etc. The dash likes to light up like a Christmas tree! Some new fault every day! My exhaust has recently fallen off for the 2nd time and to top it all I am now having to look around for a new gearbox as a pin has just broken through the casing and there is now oil leaking out. :bang:

I thought the car was fab when I bought it with all its mod cons inside and the overall look was nice. But after all the above faults, I've decided that I'll definitely steer clear of Stilo's in the future! But that's just my advice. I would definitely read some of the other topics on here about common problems before making your mind up. Hope that's of some help :)

What you really mean then is don't buy your Stilo. ;)

Well i had a better look today it a 1.9 jtd 115 bhp, cant find any recent service but do that any way sure it been done as the oil werent to bad, it had cambelt done in 07 at 63k it now 101k so in theory guessing it need doing some time nxt year. I checked the warning lights it shows a yellow child seat light i guess, the airbag stop engine light appears then say preheat warning fault how ever it starts fine and sounds fine. Airbag light a bit concerning as i would be carrying a small child possibly in front any way so need to get that sorted, can do glo plug any time. I work in the motortrade so i know what goes worng with cars and see how expensive things can be, so that does put me off but then any 2nd hand car a gamble these days, i find my 306 to small for when we go out as a family, but ideal for myself.

Do you get an airbag warning message on startup if not the light could be that the passenger side airbag is disabled the switch is on the inside of the passenger door at the hinge. I have a jtd about 6 months now had a few minor problems which was to be expected.

Cd changer had a disc stuck in it, removed disc and bingo it worked. Top rear brake light didnt work found pin broke in connector, resolder pin problem solved. I also changed the timing belt and water pump buypartsby do a kit with pump for £80 good quality kit and thanks to keviwal for recommending them. Fiat fitted the timing belt they have a scheme for cars over 3 years old i think so they fitted it for £82 (i live in NI quite alot cheaper :p) I also got all the filters and oil changed £25 labour at a local garage. Oh and the tracking was out a local garage fixed that for £15.

You cannot buy a faster car with lower insurance and tax and higher mpg for such a low price!! My other option was a peugeot 206hdi yes it was quick but it just felt so cheap and not a nice place to be also the stilo is faster.

the problem with all the forums i am on it that the majority of people only post to ask questions about faults so the general consensus from people new to a forum or just viewing it is that the cars are utter ****e and unreliable. i have run my jtd for 6 months now and have spent out on arb droplinks, a service, and new boost pressure pipe, remap, suspension and stereo, ie spent a lot more on upgrading/personalising the car than maintaining it. Any car can have faults and with the stilo i find if a fault pops up on the display but doesnt affect the running of the car to generally ignore it.

Regarding the airbag light i think i read somewhere recently that only 14% of airbags on astras have activated in accidents when they all should have gone off.

:yeahthat:

Just get a golf you know it makes sence

Yea sure (y)
VW Golfs are very good cars, sporty, German built, fast.... and so on but not all of them are angels, just like some other car manufacturers they also have very well know problems, again with any car brand if you buy the right car, in the right condition and state, you will be just fine.... :idea:

Mite be having 2nd thuoghts now, drive well and engine nice and sound, handles like my old fiat lol, but the gear were really stiff struggle to get it in first how ever once i started driving it seemed easier, and when the ignition off it went into gears ok so and the clutch bites fine so not sure what this is, just has over a months mot which is another concern but agin couldnt hear any knock or rattles and when over speed bumps. But the price i can get if for is what still making me go for it, as im sure they must be worth around £1500 market value.

Last edited:

why does this sound like its been driven hard every day of its life!? if it wasnt driven hard seems like a good motor its had a lot of money spent on it!

Back