Technical Buying a Seicento - What to Look Out For

Currently reading:
Technical Buying a Seicento - What to Look Out For

f1john

Hi all!

I'm just thinking of buying a seicento 900cc about yr 2000 for my son's 1st car (Group 1 insurance etc). What are the common problems/faults to look out for?
Thanks.
John.

Cant really add much than what is in the FAQ's other than to use common sense when purchasing any second hand vehicle, expecting a pristine example of a 10 year old car is wishful thinking.

You can check the usual spots, service history and tyres on the day, if anything doesnt sit right use it as a bargaining tool should you so wish

If its more than £500 i wouldnt buy it, you can get sportings for that money and they are only group 3 and have a bit more poke

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Guys!

I was leaning towards the 900 because it's insurance G1, and also, being a side-cammmer, there's no cambelt to worry about & less likelihood of a knackered cam showing up later, but I take yr points about the 1.1

Cheers.

John.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Guys!

I was leaning towards the 900 because it's insurance G1, and also, being a side-cammmer, there's no cambelt to worry about & less likelihood of a knackered cam showing up later, but I take yr points about the 1.1

Cheers.

John.

1.1 is considered a 'safe' engine should the cambelt ever snaps so minimal damage should in theory occur.

If you are now considering a sporting or a later 1.1 s/sx if there is no evidence of a cambelt change in the service history use this as a bargaining tool

However if still unsure and want to replace anyway it isnt an expensive job on these, the cambelt is fairly accessible also if you want to DIY as well

Hya
bought a seicenco sx 0.9cc 50k on clock 12 months ago had its mot this last monday council run station pass 100% no problems new battery just in the new year was a cat c paid 700 it had new tyres all round and new exhaust bargain

hello peeps,
this is just what i popped on for, saved me starting a thread ;)

have been looking about online at a few of these and spotted a few
(worth a view for about £500/£600 98 onward plates with a decent bit of mot) on the basis (i'm hoping) that i could save a bit of money on fuel/tires parts and so rather that using my other car as a daily drive you know the story,

anyway iv read the buying FAQ
not too much info in what can be sorted easy or what to totally walk away from apart from the usual rot and rough engines.

not looking for any model in particular but since i found this thread,
"but talking engines not trim"
what would be the most simple of simple models to keep running cheaply

and what would be best standard performance wise?

can any of the engines be turbocharged?

hello peeps,
this is just what i popped on for, saved me starting a thread ;)

have been looking about online at a few of these and spotted a few
(worth a view for about £500/£600 98 onward plates with a decent bit of mot) on the basis (i'm hoping) that i could save a bit of money on fuel/tires parts and so rather that using my other car as a daily drive you know the story,

anyway iv read the buying FAQ
not too much info in what can be sorted easy or what to totally walk away from apart from the usual rot and rough engines.

not looking for any model in particular but since i found this thread,
"but talking engines not trim"
what would be the most simple of simple models to keep running cheaply

and what would be best standard performance wise?

can any of the engines be turbocharged?

well you havent read the FAQ's much then!!
what do you want?
cheap or performance.you cant say whats simple and basic then ask about turbocharging

if you want to go down the engine change route at one point get a 1108, its a better platform than an 899

In terms of 'info in FAQ doesnt give much info reg. problems' thats because they dont get very many other than whats mentioned, just like any other marque

Last edited:
are the mia, the s and sx, 1.1 engines the same 1.1 as the sport then?
so theres only 2 types of engine to consider
only mechanical difference being the sport has a closer ratio gearbox
at what mileage should the cam belt be changed

Last edited:

yes its the same 1108 engine, cant remember off top of head think cambelt is every 4 yrs or 70k however everyone has their own perceptions and change it at different intervals anyway

These cars are all over 4 years old so should show some evidence of a change

does the same stuff go for the cinquecento same buyer guide then?

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento-faqs/94826-buying-cinq.html

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento-faqs/94734-servicing-intervals.html

prob never do that
but what engines do fit?

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento-faqs/93884-engine-swaps.html

a lot of time went into the FAQ's so people could find the answers to just these questions

Back