General Buying a punto

Currently reading:
General Buying a punto

wiffstar

My daughter wants to buy a 2001 1.2 ELX with 65,000 mls . The advertiser says it's had a new cambelt and head gasket recently.

What else is liable to go wrong with a car of this age ?

Any tips, comments would be welcome

hello
look here

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-technical/79220-common-faults-mk2-punto-1-2-a.html

You cannot predict problems, it's best not to think of any; if a car is driven well and has been serviced regulary you should have no major problems...

I think it's best to get a mechanic to take a look at it before you buy it, other than that... good luck

(I got 1.2 8v , 100.000 miles, rocker cover leak (fixed), dash bulb broken (fixed), squeaky driver seat (not fixed), some 10sec judder when cold (not fixed), love the car, best choice and look for the money)

(excuse me for my poor english)

My daughter wants to buy a 2001 1.2 ELX with 65,000 mls . The advertiser says it's had a new cambelt and head gasket recently.

What else is liable to go wrong with a car of this age ?

Any tips, comments would be welcome

Hi Check the Gearbox differential seals ( ie where the drive shafts go into the gearbox) for leaking. Check if the 65000 miles were city or motorway miles. My '00 Mk2 clutch had only a few 1000 miles left when I changed it at 65000. Check the wiper linkage arms for wear ( and bodged repairs). Check the front brake disks as at 65000 they are probably ready for the second pad change and the disks may need changing too. Check the exhaust especially if it has the mid box- can crack at the joint of the pipe to the box. Check all warning lights come on with ignition 'on' and they all go out on starting ( in case someone has removed bulbs to mask problems). Good luck with your search. My '00 Mk2 1.2 8v has just returned 49 Mpg on the last fuel refill. BTW the head gasket was done on my car at 36000 miles.

Ivor

Last edited:
i had airbag light on because I overstuffed the glove box, maybe you have the same problem...

(my english is deteriorating fast and I dunno why)

I Used To Work At A Fiat Dealer, So You May Come Across Common Problems Such As Wiper Linkage, Rocker Gasket Etc...
Check The Service History To See If They Have Already Been Done, The Car Should Come With 2 Keys, And Ideally A Keycode Card.
Which Is Basicaly A Credit Card Sized Card With, Key Code On It, Thats What A Fiat Dealer Would Need, As It Has A Code Required By Them To Program A New Key.
Although Don't Frett If It's Missing, As It Can Be Replaced For About £10- £15 On Top Of A Replacement Key.
Which Is About £50 Mind You!!
The Electric Power Steering Can Go Faulty Too, Which Is About A £500+ Job At A Fiat Dealer.
Make Sure The Warning Light On The Dash Board Light Extinguishes Once The Engine Is Started, And The City Button Works, Or If It's Not Working At All!!!
Coil Packs Can Go, Which Can Result In Poor Running, Misfire, Staling Etc.
Ther About The £40 Mark.
Also Check For The Usual Knocks And Scrapes, Kerbed Wheel Trims, Etc, Fag Burns, As That Can Give A Good Indication Of How It's Been Treated.
Look Out For If Its Got A Very Shiny Steering Wheel And Gear Knob, Or Heavly Worn Seat Bolsters As There Mileages Can Be Easily Clocked.
Also Make Sure The Chrome Coulored Paint Code Sticker Is On The Bottom Edge Of Bonnet, Near The Wiper Motor.
If Thats Missing It's A Possible Sign The Car Has Been Damged And Repaired At The Front.
Over Than That, There Pretty Good And Are No Worse Than Any Other Model Of Fiat Or Any Make Of Car.

Hope That Helps!!

Back