General Buying a Punto - What should I look out for?

Currently reading:
General Buying a Punto - What should I look out for?

Chris R

Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy a Fiat Punto as a second car for my wife.

I've always had a soft spot for Fiats. I had a Bravo HLX until a couple of years ago when I got my current car, a Mondeo V6.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend up to £1,500 so am therefore thinking of a 2000 to 2002 Punto. Will probably be a 1.2 or perhaps a diesel if there is a good one for my budget. Looking for a car will long MOT, reasonable mileage (70-80k or less), and in good condition. Oh, and it has to be a 5 door.

What sort of things should I look out for? (other than the usual things that apply to any second hand car)

When are cambelt changes due?

The cars annual mileage will be 5-6k max. Is it worth trying to find a diesel or should I stick with the 1.2?

Does the 1.2 for this model (2000-2002) come in different types. (e.g. is there a 1.2 8v and a 1.2 16v?)

Regarding spec, what are the key differences between the spec levels?(active, ELX, etc) I doubt many in my budget will have aircon and i'm not too bothered about a CD player (easy to fit aftermarket one) but would definitely want electric windows and remote central locking. Is this standard across all models?

Any response to my queries or general advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Chris

I cant help with all your questions.

I dont have remote central locking, I've got a 2001 ELX (Although its a 3-Door, I would think they are the same), but I do have electric windows.

I believe there is a 1.2 8V and 1.2 16V.

This thread should help you with the differences between the different models (Although, when I put my reg into insureance sites, it says ELX, and yet on there I dont have what it says :S

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/29276-diffrences-between-s-sx-elx.html

the 1.2 comes in the 8v and 16v, but you definately want the 16v :).

Cambelt, its good if its been changed around every 40k

They come in quite a few different models, like the basic, elx, sporting, etc. The sporting is probably the best 1.2, but it's a 3 door, so I don't know whats the next best in a 5dr.

I think most of the 2001 onwards mk2's came with electric windows, central locking as standard.

as said avoid the 8v's they have a hot temper regarding blowing headgaskets. If its a 16v make sure its had the cambelt changed as these tend to snap at about 65-70k if they are not changed. Also make sure the power steering works consistantly and smoothly with 'city' button on and off. if there are any lights regarding power steering on the dash and its playing up while in use walk away as its a costly repair (circa £700).

Last edited:
Back