General buying a fiat brava 1.2 16v 80 sx

Currently reading:
General buying a fiat brava 1.2 16v 80 sx

kick ass

hi all its been about nearly a year since iv posted, Since then iv got rid of my fiat PUNTO cat c becouse of the council is going to put me in a new drive :) and it cost me 200 quid from a autcion site but then it wouldnt start after spending more money on it thown down the towel. and sold it for 60 quid what was wrong with the engin didnt kick over :( that why i sold it for 60 quid but the guy who i sold it two and he dad came down to move it he only jumped started it with a couple of hevey duty battries and bloody drived down the road with it :bang: .

any now your looking at a full licenced driver at last :) :D.
but i need a little bit of help !!!

im buying a fiat brava 1999 1.2 16v 80sx priced £1400 from the dealer
knocked him down to 900 with labour free for 6 months
but i need to know these.
how many car seats can you have.
what should i be looking for
how many keys should it have.
how many miles to the litre
all so iv been quoted £1130.00 for my insurence first timer ??? is that good as well ??? reply asap buying it friday
thanks for reading this post

the 1.2 is a good choice choice for a first car.

there should be 3 keys, 1 red master key and 2 blue slave keys.

i dont really understand the seat question, there are 5 seats fitted, that is all you can have :confused:

mpg is quoted at 41, depending on how you drive you may gat a little bot more or a lot less. in terms of how many miles to the litre you'll get, expect it to be 22% of the mpg figure, so approx 9 miles.

your insurance quote is good for a first policy.

check for signs of a sunroof leak
check airbag and fuel injection fault lights all behave as expected (switch off shortly after engine is started)
check rear wiper and wash works.
check idle rpm is 850 when warm and higher when first started (as high as 1300+ on a very cold start)
check that the cooling fan kicks in when temp gauge is just over half way.

the 1242 engine is prone to head gasket failure so check for any signs of it.

the 1.2 is a good choice choice for a first car.

there should be 3 keys, 1 red master key and 2 blue slave keys.

i dont really understand the seat question, there are 5 seats fitted, that is all you can have :confused:

check for signs of a sunroof leak
check airbag and fuel injection fault lights all behave as expected (switch off shortly after engine is started)
check rear wiper and wash works.
check idle rpm is 850 when warm and higher when first started (as high as 1300+ on a very cold start)
check that the cooling fan kicks in when temp gauge is just over half way.

the 1242 engine is prone to head gasket failure so check for any signs of it.

okay :eek: i think i can live though this iv got most of the things in me brain. even tho its small.
but the keys what about if it only comes with one blue before handing over any money ill check it right though aka under the engin the lights and everthing eles ill let you no tomoz am im buying it.

got anouther question for you as well 81,000 miles on the clock he was selling it for 1400 but knocked him down to 900 quid is that a bargin with free labour for six months.
regarding the seating what i mean can i fit three child seats in the back ?????.
thanks for replying and taking time to read this thread

Check how much the insurance will be in your dads name with you as a named driver.

Mine was £1200 for me alone and £650 for me and my dad. It's cheaper because the theory is the inexperienced driver is only driving 50% of the time.

I know this sounds like the sort of urban myth you here from time to time because that was my reaction but I did it about 4 days ago so I know it is true.

Check how much the insurance will be in your dads name with you as a named driver.

Mine was £1200 for me alone and £650 for me and my dad. It's cheaper because the theory is the inexperienced driver is only driving 50% of the time.

I know this sounds like the sort of urban myth you here from time to time because that was my reaction but I did it about 4 days ago so I know it is true.

well im 24 and i have me own place with me three kids but i am doing a pass pluss witch nocked it down by 370 witch ill be doing the pass plus next week :).
the max millege ill be doing each year will be 7500 miles
ill be getting free legal cover
free 30 day hire car
and other stuff carnt read it as it was scanned into a scaaner but its been sent out for tomoz :).
but if i was you i would realy look around if people saying its good offer all so they said next year it will be down to 400 quid next year (y) but it taken me me half the day getting quots so many out there (n) but thats good cheaper prices and better value sod the AA 1900 with a pass pluss dont think so :yuck:

okay :eek: i think i can live though this iv got most of the things in me brain. even tho its small.
but the keys what about if it only comes with one blue before handing over any money ill check it right though aka under the engin the lights and everthing eles ill let you no tomoz am im buying it.

got anouther question for you as well 81,000 miles on the clock he was selling it for 1400 but knocked him down to 900 quid is that a bargin with free labour for six months.
regarding the seating what i mean can i fit three child seats in the back ?????.
thanks for replying and taking time to read this thread

if there is only 1 blue key tell them you want more money off. it isnt really a big problem, you can get the key copied at timpsons for £20-25 (which you should do before you lose the key, you cant do it after you lose it :)), the only problem is when there is a fault with the immob and you need the red key. there is a very smal chance that will ever happen, but if it did it means you need to get an ecu, codebox and rek key chip all from the same car, that will cost you about £100 and fitting is very easy, ignore the scare stories that say it will cost £1000, thats only if you go to a dealer and get all new parts, and keys and locks as well.

£1400 would be a rip off, £900 is a fair price, considering its from a garage with a warranty thats a good price.

the back seat has 3 seatbelts so you can fit 3 child seats, in my opinion there is also enough room to fit them in, however the middle seat belt is the type that buckles round your waist, not over your shoulder, which isnt suitable for some child seats.

good luck tomorrow, let us know if you are unsure about anything (y)

I can fit 3 car seats (3-11 years old type) across the back of my 1.2. Interestingly, there isn't quite enough room to do this in the back of my mondeo????

One up for Fiat (y)

Depending on the type you may be able to fit 3 across the back. Easier though to fit one in the front and make your passenger sit in the middle of the rear!

900 is a little high depending on what he's going to include in this 6 months. If it spits a cambelt and the engine needs rebuilding is he going to charge parts only? what about if it needs a clutch? Will he put off fixing it until after 6 months?

When was its last major service? Valeen just bought a very similar bravo (same spec, similar mileage, same year) for £750 and it has only needed about £150 for a cambelt change and some other tweeks.

So for £900 I'd be wanting fully serviced and evidence of recent cambelt change.

I can fit 3 car seats (3-11 years old type) across the back of my 1.2. Interestingly, there isn't quite enough room to do this in the back of my mondeo????

One up for Fiat (y)

hey nice one buddy what types are you using for car seats.

thanks for the reply for the other guy but its got service history havent had a looked at the log book but he has all three keys red and the two blue.
im going down there between 12 and 1 and ****ting me self as it will be the first time in a CAR with out my buddy the driving instucture but hopefully my partner dad will be with me a bit of moral surport :p

well thats my last post untill tomoz after noon time :p speak to you then

HEY iv brought it but i did notice something wrong not realy majour problems as me farther in law says as he rebuilds car from cats C :p he checked everything but i nearly lost the car tho as i got a bit cheky with the price :p.

even tho some people say that oh you could of got it cheaper yeah thats true if you all ready had a car iv done all this by my self and now im glad iv brought it even tho i did nock him down to 900 from 1400. he sent off for the log book for me. now its mot untill feb 08 5th but it just needs road tax that runs out this week.
he was going to put road tax for six months and free labour but his dad came along and says noooooooo you carnt it was at line one of petrol tank filed it up with a tenner but was panicking so much couldnt put the dam fule cap back on drove it me farther in laws. he siad this and this is whats a matter he wouldnt state whats was the matter becouse he said " if you buy it you reap the concequenc of what you by" aka if you mess up dont blame me :rolleyes:

so when i got to the house i notice something was wrong the door handels need doing then i seen the scratch not big tho about for inches long the last service was 06 so total to spend about 50 quid but then i opend the sun roof then i took a closer look seen the rust but its not that bad just needs
the belts underneath look very new tho getting it serviced in november :D
radio needs to be done
handel covers
sun roof when nessasry
scatch done
wash

the handles are a very common problem. they're easily replaced with some scrapyard handles. use marea ones as they are hard plastic so they dont have the same problem.

brillent buddy doing that sunday phoned up fiat haha guess the price 119 + vat i went no thanks :slayer: but :( my main concern is the dam clutch/ecellerator pedal i no its not easy becouse its over a couple of years but when i get to the bite on small hills it roles back !!!!! and iv got to use the excelerator pedal and then if i slightly put the exl pedal down it goes like mad and reves up ????? the service history had a check last year 06 jan and the cam belt was changed and they said it doenst need a change for anouther 5 years all so can i change the clutch and excelerator pedal.
its goes like mad :) and the gears i have to really shove it in into gear some times insead of going into 2nd ill go into 4 :eek:.
i dont no if this is becouse of been idel for a allmost a year ???? ive done 110 miles in two days :D stalled about 4 times getting to no the car is the problem im useto the new corsa :p witch is wicked but dont get me wrong is that im usto a smaller car and higher pedals :p but with looks ill take the old and new brava any day of the week and its a nifty car :worship:

sounds more likey that you havent got the hang of the clutch yet, rather than assuming it needs replacing do a test. apply the hand brake as firmly as possible, stick the car in 1st gear, keep the clutch pressed then rev the car to 4000rpm and hold the revs there, then release the clutch pedal very quickly, if it stalls very quickly your clutch is fine.

Last edited:
sounds more like that you havent got the hang of the clutch yet, rather than assuming it needs replacing do a test. apply the hand brake as firmly as possible, stick the car in 1st gear, keep the clutch pressed then rev the car to 4000rpm and hold the revs there, then release the clutch pedal very quickly, if it stalls very quickly your clutch is fine.

hehe i do that every time i move off :D :bang: i think its me im a big guy with less room at the front because of the kids behind me. and me sister says im nervers on the road by me self i think its down not having some one to listen too.
i put a tenner in pertol unleaded at sainbrus but i couldnt get the fule cap back on !!!!! so i rid the car with out it on untill me farther in law son put it back on i never felt so :eek:.
so im getting a sat nav and new radio with half price fitting total £190.00 all from halfords.

hey i had me radio done by halfrds i could of put it in me self :bang: all it was he didn't take the hole unit out like iv seen some pics of.
all he did was take the Case out and placed in the metal placement and scewed it in and placed the fascia next then he plugged all the wiring back and taped them up and set the radio i could of done that me self :( but its done now i have got a different sat nav at last please don't get the LG LN505 its a nightmare :confused: get the garmin its even better (y) :D :) :worship:
so Monday well today hoping to get a set of 4 alloys second hand for about 20 quid :p wish me luck:yum: allso the door handels covers(y) :slayer: :devil:

god dam it :bang: carnt find a bloody scrappy that havent got door handles 4 for 40 quid what the f**k no alloys for fiat bravas hello been to three scrpays and no one got anything been a rush on the dam things

£10 for a handle is the normal price to be honest, or £10 for a pair if you know them.

yeah thats true. but these were worse they had all cracks and looks like they would fling off on the motorway :D.

Back