General buying a cinquecento

Currently reading:
General buying a cinquecento

needafiat

I want to buy a cinq, does anybody have any suggestions where to look for good quality cars, and also what to look for, things to look out for on used cinq's, like possible problems with engines etc.

I'd love to get a sporting, but as i only passed my test a few months ago, insurance is bloody high, and also, i've got a budget of under a grand, so it looks likely that i'll get an S or SX. At the moment I drive a S-reg Nissan Micra, that I have to share with the parents - but for Uni i've got to have my own car, as I live in Essex, but Uni is in Newcastle. A cinquecento should be able to manage trips up and down the country, shouldn't it? also, any ideas about the cheapest way possible to maintain a cinq (remember - very poor student budget!!!)

Thanks for any help

needafiat!:)

Hi, welcome to the Fiat forum.

Check out

http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/ajwebster/index1.html
for some buying hints, and

http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.faulkner3/index.htm
for loads of info.

The main things to look out for and avoid are noisy tappets on the 899cc (loud ticking noises from the top of the engine), blown head gaskets on both the 899 and 1108cc Sportings, cam belt changes on the 1108, crash damage, and a service history is always nice.
If you get a post '96 car, it's really rather important that you get the red key with the car. This is the master key for the immobiliser and should be kept in a safe place, and the 2 blue ones should be used for day to day use. If you lose the blue keys and don't have the red one, it's big bucks to fix. Pre '96 cars have black keys and no built in immobiliser so this doesn't apply to them. Handbrakes regularly seize up, but aren't difficult or expensive to fix.

Service it yourself to keep costs down, or use somewhere like National to do oil changes for you (they can do you Hypergrade and a filter for less than you can buy the bits yourself...)
Mainly it's just plugs, air and fuel filters, and cambelts for the routine stuff. Be aware that 1108's are supposed to have the valve clearances checked every 36k miles, and they are adjusted by changing shims - this isn't really a job for a novice.

They are a hoot to drive though, and you could always join Clubcento, (the owners club) for advice, events, track days, regular magazines etc.

The best bet is to take along a mate who knows a bit about cars when you're looking around.

Good luck!

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

lots of Cinq S and SX on ebay - aim to pay up to a grand, you should be able to get something decent for around £750

Watch out for noisy tappetts and duff gearboxes on these models

plus usual cinq problems of wheel bearing, suspension bushes, noisy speedos and other annoying noises!

basically drive a few different examples and compare the feel and sounds.

get a HPI check done and if you can speak to previous owners

servicing is inexpensive - vget service items from motor factors/halfords and buy a haynes manual and a trolley/jack tools - basically these cars are a piece of cake to work on.

like Pete says - join Clubcento

good luck!

R

Holy s**t, just realised I don't have the red key to my 96' P reg. How much money are we talking and why would you need it anyway? My car only clicked round to 26K the other day so it shouldn't need anything, right? I might want to get it chipped in the future would I need it then?

Does anyone know what's happened to UAD Motorsports? Their website seems to have gone tits up, i was seriously considering their 85 bhp conversion for my car which would have been a right laugh.

Pooky

UAD have stopped trading.
The red key might be a problem if you ever have bother with the immobiliser. Didn't take my red key when they chipped mine though.

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

after the c**ts took 4500 of my money, sold half my parts etc etc.

They have in total cost me £15064.

Thanks Rich.

c**t

Grrrrr 200hp+ and they break...

Back