Buying a car off ebay

Currently reading:
Buying a car off ebay

Kier

Prominent member
Hey, just wondering, does anyone have any experience on buying a car off ebay?

How does it generally work? Would I pay a deposit (paypal?) and then pay cash on collection?

Only got small stuff of ebay before.

Always see the car though, dont buy it if you aint seen it.

Also send an e-mail to the seller to clarify anything that you are unsure of: if it has fsh, last service, mot, any dents or other problems, reason of selling, anything you would ask when buying a car.

Try and find out what the reserve is if there is one, or what they would be happy to sell the car for aswell.

View the car and if its any good see if he'll take it off or put sold if you hand over the money there and then.

I bought my 1986 Uno 45S from Ebay without seeing it for real. Then again, it came with half a tank of fuel and four months tax which was probably worth the £46 I won it for so I couldn't really lose out. Suffice to say I paid the seller in cash when I collected the car. I ended up doing 40K miles in it over the next 4 years as well and I've still got it. Cracking little car it is, and hopefully soon to be breathed on to have more than the 45 horses it currently has under the bonnet :devil:

i bought my coupe on ebay without seeing. i didnt pay a deposit just paid cash when i collected it which was a few days later :)

i also sold my bravo on ebay in feb and just took cash when they collected it. depends what the seller wants you to do.

i wouldnt pay for the lot, if its a shed and nothing like what was promised then i would rather just walk away....

Buying a car off ebay can be simple. It can also be a right nightmare sometimes.

That quality of the car generally depends on the budget you have set yourself. If you are buying from ebay becuase you think you will get a good bargain, don't expect to get a perfect car. If you are going on ebay as an alternative to say, autotrader, and are willing to pay book price, if not slightly over, for a good car, then you will get a good car.

As said already, if you can view the car beforehand, do! If you don't view and bid regardless, you are obliged, by law, to buy the car, regardless of the condition it is in when you turn up. Obviously, there is nothing, really, to stop you from walking away if the car is not as described, although don't expect the buyer to be best pleased if you want to go over the car with a fine tooth combe before handing over the money. Don't even expect a test drive. As far as the seller, ebay and everyone else is concerned, you have bought the car, agreed a price and are just coming to hand over the cash and pick it up.

As far as payment, that is down to the seller. There are no set rules. Some (like myself) always ask for a £200 deposit via paypal on the end of auction, regardless how much the car sold for. I demand the deposit before agreeing to any collection times.

Some sellers do similar, others aren't so bothered, but you will find that most will, so be prepared to loose your deposit if you do walk away.

Other than that, just be careful. As said already, send an email with a big long list of questions regarding interior condition, exterior condition, engine service history & condition etc. If they give you an half arsed reply with questions missed off, don't bid. If they can't be bothered to upsell the car to you, they are probably trying to hide something. If they do answer all the questions and all are satifactory, go and have a look! If you really can't get to see the car, ask some more questions and then make a bid if you are 100% happy.

Don't make quick decisions in the last few mins. Set your maximum, and if it goes for more, dont worry, there will be another one. Don't get your hopes up of winning any car (unless it has a buy now) as you will just get attatched to the idea and be willing to pay over the top for it.

Anyway, just have fun I suppose. I have had some excellent cars off ebay, a number I havent viewed. But then again, I have probably had far more lemons.

My final advice would be to use ebay as a last resort. Always use Autotrader, pistonheads, classifieds etc. before resorting a bidding wars on ebay. Ebay is great for picking up sub £500 bangers, but don't be fooled into thinking they will be anything else but a banger. As with anything in life, if you want a goodun, youve got the pay for it!

i brought my 4x4 panda blind and gave a small deposit to show that I was serious and because I couldnt get to pick it up for a few days

when I sold cars on there I ask for small deposit - just to make sure that they are genuine

puts me off bidding if they ask for a deposit, too many times Ive won auctions and when Ive got there the car has not matched description and i have had to walk away, wouldn't have liked to loose a deposit as well,

some people even list with pictures of a car taken a few years back, or photo shopped pictures.

if you really want the car and its asking for a deposit try go see it first

bought my Lotus off eBay.

Paid on collection with a bankers draft.

That way payment secure and not carrying a wedge of cash across the country. Also make sure your buy from the owners house. Do the paperwork in doors, that knd of thing.

My purchase was a 15yr old car, followed by a 300ml drive home.
So also got breakdown cover, and in 5yrs never needed it.

Just be careful, check things out and it's like buying from thr classifieds

Dave

A good seller on ebay will list everything thats good AND BAD about the car, but as above ask questions, request pics, request a phone number and speak to the seller, an accuratly described car will ensure that if the car isnt what you thought it would be, and the description is way short, then theres a good chance of seeking your money back - providing you complete the ebay sale.

an auction that is very vague, with few pics and not much detail, together with a seller who wotn go into much detail, well you pays your money..

thats how I see it

I bought my cinq off ebay, well I didnt really, the car didnt meet its reserve so I contacted the seller and came to a price, I collected the car with a trailer and good job I did, the water pump had gone [which wasnt detailed, and I didnt find out until I got it home] so theres no way I could have driven it 80 miles home without a small disaster and more problems, so from that I learned something.

accurate description
lots of pics
talk to seller
try to view it

any doubts? even at a cheap price, DONT

Back