buying a camera, help

Currently reading:
buying a camera, help

ok im buying a digital camera

currently I use an olympus OM10 and OM lenses for my really good photography, and im not looking to go digital SLR just yet as i will keep using this set up.

For more normal stuff and ease of use stuff, i have no camera at the moment, and recently went to a wedding where i used my old mans Fuji camera for doing some pictures for the bride and groom (in my style, not posed pictures) and found it an alright piece of kit, so been looking around and found the following cameras im interested in, but i know next to naff all about digital photography/camera technology, but im after something i can bung in auto or play with manually (like the fuji i used)

looked at

this fuji

this other fuji
and this wild card

the fujis are good for the money, take AA batteries which is great so when it runs out i dont have to bother charging them, but the panasonic one impressed me with its lens quality on far away and close up work, but it uses a battery pack.

please help!

Last edited:
how much do u want to spend?

you can pickup something like a d40 / 350d (400d with rebeat?) for not a lot and with the kit lens (more toward the d40) will be as (if not more) capable than a bridge camera.

if you want a bridge though, canon powershot g9 is good bit of kit.

the fujis as well are good, i dont know about the models you've posted but know the 9600fd was a nifty bit of kit.

Mmm, depends what you want it for really

If you are truly happy with keeping using the 35mm slr, then almost any of the smaller compacts are ok (personally I'd go for either a Canon, or possibly an Olympus mju for the weather protection - I have one of these at the moment)

However I suspect you'd quickly (well, within 6 months / a year) find yourself wanting a dslr (you'll become used to the convenience!), so you may as well buy one of those now and just accept it! In which case I'd also go for a D40 (and indeed did!)

It is nice to have both a compact and a (d)slr, as then you can either carry round a big thing if you're taking 'serious' images, and just a compact for all other times.

Good luck (y)

Last edited:
not too worried about functions i wont use as i probably will

used to be into photography in a big way until about 10/12 years ago (used to do my own developing as well!)

I wont be getting rid of my film SLR stuff as they are just too good.

I last used them properly at my mates wedding in 2004 and their favourite photos were ones that i took, especially one, and as it was on film they blew it up and it was still pin sharp and bang on. (to be honest its my best photo i have ever taken as it wasnt a posed photo and it captured everything that was happening at that moment) (i also dont take pictures of people in poses at weddings coz they look demented)

Problem with film is you can end up taking 100 photos and 30 maybe cack and its costs you money in film and developing.

I tried to use a digital camera at a track day but the bloody thing wasnt quick enough, yet my film photos were bang on and used by the team whos car was in the picture.

Going to get back into it as i need a hobby that doesnt involve me fixing cars or buying records

I tried to use a digital camera at a track day but the bloody thing wasnt quick enough, yet my film photos were bang on and used by the team whos car was in the picture.

Going to get back into it as i need a hobby that doesnt involve me fixing cars or buying records

the fuji i have (5800) has a burst mode which whilst not 100% perfect enables you to take several photos (one every .6 or.8 of a second IIRC)

this was taken on a fuji 5700 :eek:

2008_06220141.jpg

full post here

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75539&highlight=donny

a few of my shots...

2622305970_5b9970a14c_b.jpg

2622302192_7cf27cc9c7_b.jpg

not bad to say its on the neighbours house roof

the last ones a bit dodgy, the rose is quite good but the bikes a bit grainey.

I think my problem lies in that im looking for something to replace my OM stuff (which i will still use) but on reflection its just an inbetween and a lazy camera for me.

Think im going with the s8000fd but its reviews are varied and two professional camera shops have said its better value for money and a better CCD than the panasonic one

oh im stuck now

Problem with film is you can end up taking 100 photos and 30 maybe cack and its costs you money in film and developing.

buy a DSLR then. they're not as slow as other digital cameras, shutter lag is minimal and you can just shot in continous mode if you want to make sure you get a shot.

i think you'd only be disapointed with a bridge camera if you keep comparing it to film.

them pics, the last one is dodgy because of chromatic aberation (light of different colours / wavelenghts focusing at different points) and is a weakness of the lens.

Last edited:
:)

tip though. don't use the digital zoom. it is the same as just cropping the image in photoshop and blowing it to massive size. you may as well use photoshop for that, as it'll do a better job than the camera will.

got the s8000fd delivered today, i have had a play and im realy impressed with the macro shots i did and a few other playing around shots.

After speaking to my dad (who is a former pro photographer) i have to use new techniques to get certain pictures. using the example above- track stuff- instead of using my film slr techniques i need to use, as suggested, the multishot feature, as its not like i'll run out of film/waste film, and this can get away from problems like this.

Im going to have a practice at our local track

well, im still impressed by it.

My mates in the pub have tried to ruin me saying i should have bought nikkon, which i think are crap
Nikon are far from crap...I upgraded my fuji to the D70s after a few years when i decided to make a serious go of it...but there's certainly nothing wrong with Fuji's! (y)

every nikon our family has had has broke. Not really a good advert
really?! what an earth happened?!

I've had mine for 3 years now and it's still just like it was brand new...not exactly been treated gently either...it goes everywhere and often just rolls around the boot :bang: no problems thankfully so far :slayer:

niiiiiiiiiiiceeeee...well i'm really sorry to hear about that :( 'cos i've had nothing but Joy from my Nikon but I guess its the same with all manufacturers...some get lucky and others don't...unless i'm the one rare person with a working Nikon camera lol!

But anyway...back on topic the olympus and the fuji's are really good :) tbh...in that type of range they're all pretty similar...fuji's tend to give very vivid colours but the images can turn out slightly less clear than other camera manufacturers...not 100% on olympus but from what i've seen briefly the photo quality is impressive...

...best thing to do is to goto a shop and have a play with them and see which one you prefer in your hands...makes a big difference :) and obviously then get them to price match or just buy it cheaper off the net after you've made up your mind!!!

Back