Technical Bushes / Bottom arms and Wheels bearings

Currently reading:
Technical Bushes / Bottom arms and Wheels bearings

fiatvanman

Hi Folks,
A couple of problems.

My bottom arm bush has play in it (see pic) is there a cheap place to get this bush plz ?

bush.jpg

Next, Can someone tell me if the gearbox filler is on the front of the gearbox, i.e. looking at the vehicle from the front the filler is looking at you. Or is it on the side, looking under the wheel arch ?

I have had a wheel bearing noise for the past week. It is quite pronounced now, but after jacking all four wheels I can't detect play in any of the wheels (top or bottom). I did consider gearbox whine, but doing 70mph and putting it into neutral the whine is still there which tells me its wheel bearing. Any bright idea how I narrow it down ? :confused:

Finally (I promise :rolleyes:) has anyone found a cheap source of ARB bushes yet?

Cheers Fellas
(y)

There are front and rear bushes on eBAY but it's easier, and probably cheaper in the long run to replace the wishbone complete. The old bush is a bugger to get off and the new one will need a press to get it on.

I have a brand new nearside available for £33 collect or you pay cost of shipping. I'm halfway between Northampton and Leicester.

Peat

eBay item number 330318114056. Used this guy recently for a pair of wishbones for my alfa gtv.
Very helpful guy and next day delivery even to Northern Ireland where I live.

had a wheel bearing noise that i couldn't diagnose with the wheels off the ground and feeling for play etc. found mine by listening when driving(could tell it was on the front but not which side).

If the noise disappears when turning left its the left bearing because the weight is on the right hand side and vice versa.

had a wheel bearing noise that i couldn't diagnose with the wheels off the ground and feeling for play etc. found mine by listening when driving(could tell it was on the front but not which side).

If the noise disappears when turning left its the left bearing because the weight is on the right hand side and vice versa.

Ahhh, well that will tell me what side at least. I have a feeling (hope) that it's a rear bearing. it's really quite loud now so I'm amazed I couldn't feel any play in it :confused:

Thanks JTDman, those links are ones I wasn't aware of. £16 each for the ARB bushes though :eek: Ouch! I guess those nails will stay wedged in there for a little while longer ;)

Thanks Jumblies./Peat , I guess you are right. For £35 I'd be silly not to replace the whole arm. I don't have a press so it makes sense.

Just on the gearbox top up thingamy. I have identified what I am sure is the drain (facing me under the n/s wheel arch), is the filler directly above it on the same side ?

I guess I should have said it's a JTD '01 if that makes any difference.

Cheers Fellas

Hi Folks,
A couple of problems.

My bottom arm bush has play in it (see pic) is there a cheap place to get this bush plz ?

bush.jpg

Next, Can someone tell me if the gearbox filler is on the front of the gearbox, i.e. looking at the vehicle from the front the filler is looking at you. Or is it on the side, looking under the wheel arch ?

I have had a wheel bearing noise for the past week. It is quite pronounced now, but after jacking all four wheels I can't detect play in any of the wheels (top or bottom). I did consider gearbox whine, but doing 70mph and putting it into neutral the whine is still there which tells me its wheel bearing. Any bright idea how I narrow it down ? :confused:

Finally (I promise :rolleyes:) has anyone found a cheap source of ARB bushes yet?

Cheers Fellas
(y)

Try here: http://www.silentblocks.com/index.php?cPath=61_65
I already bought some from them and they are better than the original ones.

Back