Styling Bump strips paint etc list?

Currently reading:
Styling Bump strips paint etc list?

mitchellinman

hi im gonna attempt this myself, how hard can it be? all i need to know is what paint and other stuff do i need? Help greatly appreciated, cheers Alex
also im going to be painting a roof spolier also can i use the same paint?

mitchellinman said:
hi im gonna attempt this myself, how hard can it be? all i need to know is what paint and other stuff do i need? Help greatly appreciated, cheers Alex
also im going to be painting a roof spolier also can i use the same paint?
IMO if you have had experience of spraying then you should be ok after all these are only small parts (y) but just let me tell you that when the body shop were doing my car they had to do the roof spoiler twice because what ever material it was made of it had a reaction to the paint they used some kind of sealer but dont know what it was they used all i can tell yopu is that the part came from Lester hope that is of some help (y)

yeh ive had some previous expierence and im an arty person with a very steady hand! thanks for the link but what im after is what TYPE of paint do i need? is it 2 pack? i heard you cant use this unless you meet certain requirements? a list with everything needed would be very helpful.
Cheers Alex

What you need then is info from a tech Ben R is the guy you need for this kind of info but he doesnt seem to be around much of late have a look back on his threads to see if he gives any info about paint type etc good luck to you mate (y)

You can get all you need from halfords! You can use 2pac but it's illegal to spray outside & also it's very expensive!(n) If you go into your local halfords this is what you'll need.

1. 1 can of plastics primer.
2. 1 can of filler primer.
3. your top coat (only superstores are able to mix a paint to match your car)
4. 1 can of lacquer.
5. some 600 grit wet & dry.

I don't know if they do dry flatting papers but ideally you want to flat the mouldings with some 500grit paper first before you prime them.(y)

chromegrey said:
why use filler primer? on bump strips etc i would use two coats of platic primer and two coats of paint, then 1 coat of laquer?

You cannot spray topcoat over adhesion primer, eventually it'll flake off!(n) Also filler primer will take out any discrepances in the plastic i.e stone chips & minor grazes plus give an ultra smooth finish & once it's all cured it should last a very long time!(y)

Back