Technical Bulb warning

Currently reading:
Technical Bulb warning

tomtom2011

Yeahhhhhhh!
Hi Everyone,

My Stilo has non stop being displaying a bulb error warning for the numberplate bulb, I would be driving along and one minute it would be off then it would come straight back on with the beeping. It has got to the point where I am staring at the dash with bloodshot eyes waiting for the next beep, sometime it will tease me and not come on for 30 seconds or come on every 3 seconds!! I have posted a video of what happens below.

I have checked the bulb which are fine and also taken them out to give the contacts a clean. The only thing I haven't done is check the earth but I'm not sure where this is on the numberplate lighting.

Please help I had a 2 hour ride in it today :bang:

(Sorry about the quality was driving)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc4oynNY6r0

Definitely an earthing problem. I had the same with the rear right indicator, I took the contacts out, and saw that the earthing pin was quite loose in the connector. Gave them some electric contact cleaner, tightened the female connector and it worked ;)

Andy

i had the same problem many years ago and it drove me potty!!!
remove the cassette that holds the bulb above the number plate.
you may find it badly corroded (mine was and the car was only 3 years old back then).
clean allk the terminals off with some fine sand paper, then pull the springs towards each other to get a better connection and hold the bulb in place more effectively, then spray it with a light oil like wd 40.
get a new bulb (you may find it probally gone high resistance if the fault has been on going).
refit and it should be ok. you maybe unlucky and might have to get a new cassette though if its cracked up badly (plastic never lasts).
roy

i had the same problem many years ago and it drove me potty!!!
remove the cassette that holds the bulb above the number plate.
you may find it badly corroded (mine was and the car was only 3 years old back then).
clean allk the terminals off with some fine sand paper, then pull the springs towards each other to get a better connection and hold the bulb in place more effectively, then spray it with a light oil like wd 40.
get a new bulb (you may find it probally gone high resistance if the fault has been on going).
refit and it should be ok. you maybe unlucky and might have to get a new cassette though if its cracked up badly (plastic never lasts).
roy

Agree with Roy, but I would never recommend using WD 40 on electrical contacts. Get a decent contact cleaner/spray from any hardware store.

Andy

Thank you for your help .

I did a full clean down and replaced the bulbs and I am sane when driving again ! Fingers crossed it will stay that way :)

Cheers

Tom

Thank you for your help .

I did a full clean down and replaced the bulbs and I am sane when driving again ! Fingers crossed it will stay that way :)

Cheers

Tom

Fingers crossed indeed, but I wouldn't hope too much. I have to redo all that every 4-5 month on my rear right cluster, but in all fairness I live in a really damp area (on the west coast of Wales, 2 mins from the sea).

Andy

oh i have this too!! Driving me mad!! I also have airbag failure constantly beeping. ive had new sensor in seat & auto electronics garage is baffled grrrrr :'(

oh i have this too!! Driving me mad!! I also have airbag failure constantly beeping. ive had new sensor in seat & auto electronics garage is baffled grrrrr :'(

Hi, Welcome to the FF.

Which of the above suggestions for the bulb warning have you or your garage tried so far?

Re. the airbag failure warning, you or your garage need to connect a diagnostic machine to the car to find out which airbag or component is faulty. Diagnosis by substitution will be expensive.

I had the problem with the indicator warning.
Remove the rear light unit. Clean the plugs contacts. WD40 was not sufficient in my case but the following procedure worked.

Use cotton buds at each step.
1/Clean contacts with metals polish. (sandpaper suggested but I think that is a bit aggressive.)
2/Clean off polish with contact cleaner.
3/Coat with a dielectric grease that allows good contact but inhibits further corrosion. I got mine from Supercheap Auto (Halfords equivalent)

I also removed the bulbs and gave them the same treatment. No more problems.:slayer:

As a separate suggestion. The Airbag errors etc can be caused by a voltage dip. Check the battery and the clamps on it. I had to do the FIAT but also the Toyota RAV4 we have recently. If it is corroded or will not tighten securely replace the clamps.

I was talking to a local yesterday that said a Mercedes owner had several items replaced because they showed as errors on the computer at some expense but turned out to be the battery on the way out.

Last edited:
Back