General bulb replacement

Currently reading:
General bulb replacement

stripey stilo

got of the phone with fiat uk with regaurds to the design flaw with headlight bulb replacement.

the guy in italy said if a lot of people complain about the same problem then they will most likely put a notice in to all fiat dealerships, to change bulbs as a good will gesture for free

so every 1 get calling

power to the people
lol

LOL, if anyone has seen Whatcar? this month have a read at the article on servicing costs and the example they choose was the cost to change a headlight bulb on the modern car:
(rough figures below)

1). Alfa - £30
2). VW £35
3). Mk1 focus - £16 (one of the cheaper cars)
etc. etc.

This isn't just a problem with Fiat to be fair (Fiat wasn't tested). Modern cars aren't built for easy maintenance was the conclusion and MPV's are the worst. It mentions all sorts of weird and wonderful ways you need to adopt to change a headlight bulb like through the wheel arch taking off the bumper (don't we all know this one) and so on.

The article is worth a read actually, quite interesting.

cmc

etc

you are correct i know they all do it now to make more money out of us.
The other way of looking at this is if youve got car breakdown cover and a bulb out take a bulb out with you during the night and ring them.
As they are abliged to keep you road legal, thats why you pay for cover in the first place.
They have to come out and fit it for you. for reasons that stops you being able to do it, ie poor light and so on. try it it worked for me

stripey stilo said:
you are correct i know they all do it now to make more money out of us.
The other way of looking at this is if youve got car breakdown cover and a bulb out take a bulb out with you during the night and ring them.
As they are abliged to keep you road legal, thats why you pay for cover in the first place.
They have to come out and fit it for you. for reasons that stops you being able to do it, ie poor light and so on. try it it worked for me

not a bad shout actually. Would save you £30 or so.

Cars are designed on what customers want...more interior space etc,add this to the ever growing list of engine components required to keep emissions down & your left with a rather cramped engine bay!
Sadly the days when normal servicable(starters/alternators etc)items are rapidly dissapearing...as CMC stated it's not just a Fiat problem,ever tried changing alternator on a KA:bang:

for the breakdown company suggestion to work, THEY not YOU would have to provide the part. Most of the terms and conditions state that they only fit their own parts. I reckon they would conveiniently find thay didn't have the right bulb with them etc when they discovered how complex the job is.

Also, I dread to imagine the attitude of the patrol who was called out to a broken bulb. From my experience they resent being called out to anything. e.g. didn't like being called out for a delaminated tyre that meant the car had to be recovered because the wheel couldn't be removed without damaging the bodywork.

Back