General Build quality of panda mk 2,the good,the bad ,and the ugly

Currently reading:
General Build quality of panda mk 2,the good,the bad ,and the ugly

Hi all,this might bring a controversy,but here’s thoughts.owned 2 mk 2s,and work as a district nurse,so combination of white van men,taxi,daily use..first was a diesel.wonderful engine,probably the best combo,faster than the petrol,but the dpf sent me home in limp mode more times than I care to remember..at least the selling garage fixed it,probably the best all rounder,for distance..until a good crash.at least I never got a chance to blow the tiny turbo..only front quarter damage,but written off,local company appointed by insurance company,couldn’t be bothered to check steering rack,low mileage,sold on to local mechanic as cat 2..bargain,I think..now still own,run petrol mk 2.1.2+ dynamic.at 52k ,from original 18k when bought..it’s got battlescars thanks to Devon narrow roads and mad delivery men.here’s my very long term test,and thoughts..plus points.1.reliable..but see later,2,probably the best gear change/box in the business,3,fairly economical,and zippy,when driving solo,for what it is.now - points..1,tyres are oddsized,more expensive,than our focus,2,radiator tank,opaque,can’t see levels,combined with screenwash,almost inaccessible,3,and more seriously,electric steering assist..must be some bad earths.see later.ok for me,as used to old cars,but can dump without warning if battery,connections not perfect.not good for taking my son out on L plates,4,inner bulkhead permanently damp,small cup holder in there..why,?pathetic,adds to lectric probs,guaranteed mist up in cabin,5pathetic standard radio/cd player..blaupunkt.realy?rear arial short out after few years,and on removal,found twinwiring missing.I’ve replaced by breaker.6,spark plugs,well ,still not replaced,so deep well.advised by garage.get replacement plug wires,as will all crack when removed..7,sidelight,rear clusters designed by Satan himself..8,rear brake drum release so bad,people buy better aftermarket’s,,to put In perpective..would I buy another.no.these were made in Poland..I bought my wife a Suzuki swift,assembled in Hungary..sorry,the build quality is incomparable,,I’ll just run this to destruction.

Wikipedia says the 169 is the Mk 3. It's odd really, because the Punto had Mk1, Mk 2 and Mk 2A. A format that would make more sense for the Panda.

Wikipedia says the 169 is the Mk 3. It's odd really, because the Punto had Mk1, Mk 2 and Mk 2A. A format that would make more sense for the Panda.
Mk2a Punto was just a facelift though. Mk 2 Panda was actually a big change at the time, new floorpan with coils on the rear replacing the old leaf springs, and the new FIRE engines, and for all the visual similarities they didn't share a single visible body panel (..roof maybe??)

Ty,Dave.still think ,with all my reasoning ..suzuki now everytime..swift sport,vs panda 100 bhp,no contest.imho. build quality,the Suzy wins everytimr

Do it this morning. Break your shackles of discontentment and rejoice in the joyous and fulfilling ownership of that wonderful vehicle.

The original (2009 car) exhaust back-box broke off yesterday; this morning I changed it - all in £42 plus 1hr of my time.
Sh!tty Polish FIAT build quality.
PS, everything works well including the Dualogic gearbox and the air-conditioning is fab!

Well mine is just over 18 years old with 67k on the clock the body work is in great condition as are the engine and transmission. It has service history so I can tell it's been looked after and I look after it myself being a mechanic. There is a clue in the last paragraph, and that's the being the looked after bit.
Any car that is taken for granted and run until it breaks down will be deemed as a bad model. Every car I've owned has had to have parts fitted even between services.
As far as build quality is concerned, I'm fortunate to be able to run a 2013 Mercedes SL with 42k on the clock and I've had to replace a lower track control arm due to a bad ball joint and a front wheel speed sensor (not related) Before that car I ran an S Type Jag and had to fit numerous parts to that as well one being a differential. So my point is this. All cars will need maintenance ( even a Suzuki ) :)

Back