Technical bubbling sound still wont go away:(

Currently reading:
Technical bubbling sound still wont go away:(

Ultimatum

Yay i am rattle free
Right i have had the air lock in the cooling system sound for about 2 weeks now, i have done a full system flush several, and bled the system every couple of days. there are no signs of leaks and the heater matrix is working fine, i also just replaced the thermostat when i did the flush as it broke when the system drained.

I don't think it is the head gasket, as i have no signs eg mayo oil etc.

It seems to have improved as now i only seem to get the bubbling sound when setting off from cold on a slight incline.

Anyone have any ideas? and will if cause any damage if i give up and live with it lol

Fiats have a low coolant level, dont ignore a potential coolant problem or the Head gasket will go if the car overheats. The gurgling is down to air in the system, do you lose coolant at all? If you have to regularly top up the coolant is going somewhere, if you cant see a leak it may be getting out via the exhaust pipe, have the cooling system pressure tested ASAP.

Ultimatum i occasionally have this problem with mk2 puntos even after ive well bled them and its usually the first start of the day
i leave the radiator cap off and drive quite fast forwards to purge any remaining air in the system like a naughty childs hickup
(obviously bleed the hose at the back of the engine with engine running first though)
too many myths about h/g failures on puntos

Fiats have a low coolant level, dont ignore a potential coolant problem or the Head gasket will go if the car overheats. The gurgling is down to air in the system, do you lose coolant at all? If you have to regularly top up the coolant is going somewhere, if you cant see a leak it may be getting out via the exhaust pipe, have the cooling system pressure tested ASAP.

i dont have to top the coolent up at all, and my exhaust is nice dry clean air, so i dont think there is a leak.

You didn't replace the thermostat -- which sits under the coil pack, off the cylinder head. I'm sure you replaced the thermoswitch, on the radiator. They do very different things.

i am not that thick, i know what a thermostat is and i replace it, it wasnt budging in any amount of hot water.

Ultimatum i occasionally have this problem with mk2 puntos even after ive well bled them and its usually the first start of the day
i leave the radiator cap off and drive quite fast forwards to purge any remaining air in the system like a naughty childs hickup
(obviously bleed the hose at the back of the engine with engine running first though)
too many myths about h/g failures on puntos

thanks i will give it ago, how fast are we talking and how long shall i drive with it off?

i dont have to top the coolent up at all, and my exhaust is nice dry clean air, so i dont think there is a leak.

i am not that thick, i know what a thermostat is and i replace it, it wasnt budging in any amount of hot water.

thanks i will give it ago, how fast are we talking and how long shall i drive with it off?

60 feet i just use the yard at work here

cheers i will ive it ago tomos, i dont have time today. can i ask is it adviseable to squeeze the rear pipe near the rear bled and then screw it tight so that the air isnt stucked back through or will this cause more air pockets?

I've read that it can help to bleed while car is on an incline, facing uphill. I've not had the problem myself so can't advise suitable gradient!

red

Bleeding the Punto has tried my patience. Now I use coolant in a 1 litre water bottle inverted on the filler neck and held tight to form a seal. Then I open the rear screw and squeeze the bottle till I get a steady geyser. Repeat for the front screw and when all is running bubble free remove the bottle and drain the excess in the filler neck through the front screw.

Last edited:
Never had a problem when i did HG and w/pump just filled it 2 min mark, started up with cap off and kept toping up 2 min untill engine was warm walst leting air out, took it for a run 2get it up 2temp and rechecked level was between max and min its been spot on since

Im Glad im not the only 1 with this

every time i get in - start it up - gurgles and goes away

I bleed - no air comes out
Only after a long time i can get some air out

coolant level NEVER drops
I've done the same Bled and bleed and bleed the system, no air then comes out
So i give up and let it be - if the HG is blowing a little bit, or a i have a leak, i certainly can't find it :(

Ziggy

If the coolant tank is overfilled there is no way for the small vent pipe to vent into so bubbles get trapped. Certainly over fill the tank but dont cover the incoming vent at the top. The most important bleed point is on the heater pipes.

Running with air bubbles in the system is a quick way to a dead head gasket.

thanks for the replys guys, ill see how it goes from now, i will bleed the bastard so much my drive will flood(y)

Yea Probably good idea - just make sure after you've done - leave the hose pipe on for about 20mins to wash all the anti-freeze away

If the coolant tank is overfilled there is no way for the small vent pipe to vent into so bubbles get trapped. Certainly over fill the tank but dont cover the incoming vent at the top. The most important bleed point is on the heater pipes.

Running with air bubbles in the system is a quick way to a dead head gasket.
Had the bubbles for a while, and no signs of a overheat just yet

Ziggy

Back