Technical Broken splash guard? (I think)

Currently reading:
Technical Broken splash guard? (I think)

JohnBrennan

Hey all,

Was driving home yesterday from work and although the roads were pretty clear there was still a build up of snow in the middle of each lane - all of a sudden i could hear this scraping noise from under the car, at first i thought it was a piece of ice or something stuck under.

I pulled over and there was something (plastic i think) bent down against the road from near the inside of the drivers side front wheel (maybe 3 or 4 inches inside of the wheel).

I managed to push it back forwards and up and it stayed there until (presumably) it got bent down by some more snow today. i 'fixed' it again for now but just wondering if anyone has an idea what it is?

Im thinking from looking around that its a splash guard? How critical is it that i get it fixed? And how would be the best way to do it?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Sounds like, and is possibly, the standard plastic splitter/lip which is fitted on the underside of the front bumper. It isn't essential, some members of this forum have even removed it when they have fitted an aftermarket splitter.

On this picture:
fiat-grande-punto.jpg

You can see the plastic lip hanging down from the front bumper (pretty much in line with the front fogs from the view). If its that, then I wouldn't worry about it - id even take it off if you get a chance.

(P.S. Sorry Mods, I know the image isn't hosted in the forum gallary but this was a quicker reply for the OP)

Its a little further back than that, if i remember correctly. More in line with the front of the wheel. Although I could be wrong!

I will try and get a picture tomorrow.

Cheers

That sounds more like it, it does look like its there to cover/protect something more than anything else.

At the minute its bent back up away from the road but still not fully flush with where it should be. Do you think it would be worth trying a temporary solution, such as cable tying it up to hold it up?

And how easy/expensive is it gonna be to fix do you think? Hoping I wont have to go Fiat for it ..

Ok, im thinking its the part labelled (1) in this parts diagram.

Attachments

• narea.png
    narea.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 877
i'm quite sure its under a tenner

Ok thats not too bad at all, would you say its easy to fit yourself, im guessing if you take the wheel off it should be easy to get to where it screws on.

Thanks again

3 screws, 2 on side and 1 underneath at front. no need to remove wheel.

proably gone up to £30 now:eek:

lol yeah probably - might have to wait til the snow clears too ... dont fancy jacking the car up in snow and ice.

I will ring fiat about the part tomorrow .... im guessing they should know what im after easy enough. Plus all the screws are probably still in there, looks like the one at the front is probably still in and the things just snapped off or something.

The front "splitter" is loosely stapled onto the front bumper, chances are if you have ever driven the car more than 10 yards you'll see that its already coming away so just slide a flat blade under the staples and remove :)

I guess its there to direct some air to the brakes or such like? or just purely to smash into stuff.

lol yeah probably - might have to wait til the snow clears too ... dont fancy jacking the car up in snow and ice.

I will ring fiat about the part tomorrow .... im guessing they should know what im after easy enough. Plus all the screws are probably still in there, looks like the one at the front is probably still in and the things just snapped off or something.

Where did you get the picture of it from? If it was on EPER then click onto the [1] and you'll get the part number :)

RE: Splitter
The front "splitter" ....
I guess its there to direct some air to the brakes or such like? or just purely to smash into stuff.
Mine was fine, but once my bumper got replaced the new bumper didn't have one.
I was told it was to flick away stones, the ones that would normally bounce up under the car and damage things...like the underside of your bumper...

Sounds a bit like something to protect another part of the car that itself is meant to protect a further part of the car.

RE: Splash Guard
How did replacing the plastic splitter/lip go in the end? I noticed mine is missing on one side - but the screws are also missing so it must have been manually removed and no-one replaced it. That said, I just looked at the diagram posted above, https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72357&d=1262822144, and it seems this piece is only present on the right hand side of the vehicle. Can anyone confirm it's only present on one side?

If I look through the hole when mine is missing I can see a large pipe (looks like it might get hot). Further up would be the battery but I can't see that.

1.9 GP MJetDiesel

Last edited:
bring the thread back i need to get a splashguard and the part to the left had side for the wheel anyone know part numbers or were the picure came form

hmm not sure it looks odd is that both side i need just left and the bit what goes under engine ?

Ok, im thinking its the part labelled (1) in this parts diagram.
The part at the top left has completely come off on my punto evo 2010 reg, is it worth fixing it back on, and I don't even have a bottom engine cover on mine I was thinking that might attach to it because I can't figure out how to get it back on atm, could you help me with what to do please. Thanks in advance

The part at the top left has completely come off on my punto evo 2010 reg, is it worth fixing it back on, and I don't even have a bottom engine cover on mine I was thinking that might attach to it because I can't figure out how to get it back on atm, could you help me with what to do please. Thanks in advance
It's the part labelled 1 as you mentioned

Back