General Broken down on hangar lane, w5...

Currently reading:
General Broken down on hangar lane, w5...

Driving along in my panda bianca, taking my son back to hampshire with the roof down.. Suddenly the clutch cable brakes and im stuck in five lanes of the busiest traffic youve ever seen.. Lucky the panda weighs nothing soi pushed it to the middle of the roundabout. The rac amn has just been and tells me thcable went because something more serious inside. The leve arm wont budge which means the clutch plates ae f@&ked?

So were waiting for the flat bed to take us to alton..

Anyone in hampshire have a spare clutch and want to fix my precious car?

At least its sunny!

Matt

Driving along in my panda bianca, taking my son back to hampshire with the roof down.. Suddenly the clutch cable brakes and im stuck in five lanes of the busiest traffic youve ever seen.. Lucky the panda weighs nothing soi pushed it to the middle of the roundabout. The rac amn has just been and tells me thcable went because something more serious inside. The leve arm wont budge which means the clutch plates ae f@&ked?

So were waiting for the flat bed to take us to alton..

Anyone in hampshire have a spare clutch and want to fix my precious car?

At least its sunny!

Matt

You're going to THE right place - That will be VmanC - Alton, fix & Panda (y)

Last edited:
The clutch lever can get stiff I have also heard. So if it really is un-movable try a good soaking in WD40 to see it that frees it up.

I've had big trouble with dodgy knock-off clutch cables as well (ones made of far too thick cable that doesn't bend enough) which then rub on the hole in the bulkhead before snapping... assuming mk2 are the same as mk1 for clutch cables.

Unlikely the clutch itself is broken. When they fail they usually just slip under load.

Hope you get it sorted ok though.

Si

Its a new cable that was only put in when i swapped the clutch about 18months ago.. Im hoping that youre right about this.

Anyway, i think its time vernon worked his magic on my car!

Thanks everyone.

Matt

The clutch lever can get stiff I have also heard. So if it really is un-movable try a good soaking in WD40 to see it that frees it up.

I've had big trouble with dodgy knock-off clutch cables as well (ones made of far too thick cable that doesn't bend enough) which then rub on the hole in the bulkhead before snapping... assuming mk2 are the same as mk1 for clutch cables.

Unlikely the clutch itself is broken. When they fail they usually just slip under load.

Hope you get it sorted ok though.

Si

I think you'd know if there was something wrong inside your clutch, it would have to be pretty heavy and you'd need to press the pedal very hard to snap the cable. Dodgy cable and/or install I reckon.

The good quality clutch cables are very flexible and shouldn't spring back violently. The crappy ones I fitted (I bought 2 or 3 before getting a good one! :() were so stiff I had great difficulty getting the plastic bit that slots into the hole in the bulkhead to go in and even when it was in, it had a habit of popping out and allowing the cable to rub on the metal!! It would have felt increasingly stiff as time went on if this is the case.

The good quality clutch cables are very flexible and shouldn't spring back violently. The crappy ones I fitted (I bought 2 or 3 before getting a good one! :() were so stiff I had great difficulty getting the plastic bit that slots into the hole in the bulkhead to go in and even when it was in, it had a habit of popping out and allowing the cable to rub on the metal!! It would have felt increasingly stiff as time went on if this is the case.

What 4 hours and not a single comment on that last line?

Back