General Broken down automatic fiat 500

Currently reading:
General Broken down automatic fiat 500

Coombsy72

My fiat 500 has given up the ghost and I was told by the aa man it could either be my automatic gearbox or the wires, anyone got any ideas what the fault is please.

Thanks for the reply👍🏻I will check the brake lights tonight,
So what happened was….. I was trying to leave a car park and the fault alarm came up saying refer to users handbook. Then it cut out completely and wouldn’t start again so called the aa who said it could be either problem and he didn’t know!! Got it towed home (on a truck) and it hasn’t been moved since.
If you can see the phot attached-I took a phot of his screen and he said it might be any of these.

Attachments

• 85CC1082-80F1-4563-A3E3-6D58EDCF7CE9.png
    85CC1082-80F1-4563-A3E3-6D58EDCF7CE9.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 52
Whoops never realised that!!
I’m in Somerset
Had the car two years and in that time it’s only needed a new battery

Thats a fair mix of reported errors..

No other warning lights..or messages recently ?

Do let us know what does and doesnt work :)

Do you hear the loud pump whirr as you open the door?

The fuel pump ( under back seat) whirr for 5 to 10 seconds..as you turn ignition on ?

I believe the 169A4000 engine is normal for a 1.2 500 as well as the 1.2 Panda.
So... starting with the "free" simple ones:
Does it start?
If so, will it let you put it in gear?
If it won't start, can you still select gears?
Are there any messages or unusual lights on the dash?
Is it doing anything unusual (clicking, buzzing, not buzzing when you open the drivers door when it used to buzz, etc.?)
When was the new battery fitted?
Was the main earth cable checked/replaced?

More details are needed to get any further forward, of which getting the codes read from ALL modules would be most helpful. (Most cheap generic code readers can only read the engine ECU, which may not show the problem)
(Overlapped with @varesecrazy above - slow typing on phone to blame!)

Thats a fair mix of reported errors..

No other warning lights..or messages recently ?

Do let us know what does and doesnt work :)

Do you hear the loud pump whirr as you open the door?

The fuel pump ( under back seat) whirr for 5 to 10 seconds..as you turn ignition on ?
Right it starts fine but says on the screen-check engine and rattles a bit when switched on although when I did it again there was no rattle.
Can’t move it coz it’s automatic and was told it’ll wreck it more, that is a phot of the dash when I switch it on.
Thanks for this help👍🏻

Attachments

• 4F31020F-5D2C-401A-B238-F8C3194058B7.jpeg
    4F31020F-5D2C-401A-B238-F8C3194058B7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
I believe the 169A4000 engine is normal for a 1.2 500 as well as the 1.2 Panda.
So... starting with the "free" simple ones:
Does it start?
If so, will it let you put it in gear?
If it won't start, can you still select gears?
Are there any messages or unusual lights on the dash?
Is it doing anything unusual (clicking, buzzing, not buzzing when you open the drivers door when it used to buzz, etc.?)
When was the new battery fitted?
Was the main earth cable checked/replaced?

More details are needed to get any further forward, of which getting the codes read from ALL modules would be most helpful. (Most cheap generic code readers can only read the engine ECU, which may not show the problem)
(Overlapped with @varesecrazy above - slow typing on phone to blame!)
It starts fine-no probs-seems to let me select a gear, did say check engine the first time I switched it on, can’t see any unusual lights or anything in the dashboard,no noises of any sort except the first time I did it, was rattly but ok now,
The new battery was fitted last September by a mechanic friend-he didn’t mention anything about an earth cable.
Am I best off taking it to a fiat garage to get it hooked up to the right machine?

It starts fine-no probs-seems to let me select a gear, did say check engine the first time I switched it on, can’t see any unusual lights or anything in the dashboard,no noises of any sort except the first time I did it, was rattly but ok now,
The new battery was fitted last September by a mechanic friend-he didn’t mention anything about an earth cable.
Am I best off taking it to a fiat garage to get it hooked up to the right machine?
From that it looks like a pure engine-related issue, rather than anything to do with the gearbox, which is good news.
Have you checked oil & coolant levels? Bit worried about the "rattle", but without hearing it , it could be anything.
My best guess (and it is only a guess) is that its an electrical problem - main earth cable, or tailgate wiring problem. (Or a failed battery, but less likely)
Did you have the steering wheel symbol come up on the dash recently?
Any strange things happening (wipers randomly working, etc.)?

From that it looks like a pure engine-related issue, rather than anything to do with the gearbox, which is good news.
Have you checked oil & coolant levels? Bit worried about the "rattle", but without hearing it , it could be anything.
My best guess (and it is only a guess) is that its an electrical problem - main earth cable, or tailgate wiring problem. (Or a failed battery, but less likely)
Did you have the steering wheel symbol come up on the dash recently?
Any strange things happening (wipers randomly working, etc.)?
Oh ok-wasn’t expecting that!!
Not checked oil and coolant but I will get on the case,
The rattle was only on the first try and I’ve left it standing for a month due to being too busy to get it sorted.
Didn’t notice a steering wheel symbol the last few times I drove it but it felt a bit sluggish but still went ok so assumed (wrongly!) that all was ok.
No strange things happening just the one breakdown where it said check engine and from memory-gear (choice) unavailable.

So check all the basics, turn off the headlights, replace the engine earth strap it will need one if it's not been replaced.

Anyone, if the ecu doesn't know the accelerator pedal position will it trip out ?
Ok tysm for all your help I will give this a go.

I did notice in your 'speedo pic' that there are no oil or battery lights..
So assume the engine was running..

That Yellow engine symbol shouldnt be on.. its often related to 'emissions'..

Might explain your 'lack of OOMPH..'

Back to Coolant and oil checks..
A torch..phone flashlight ..is ideal for the coolant

I did notice in your 'speedo pic' that there are no oil or battery lights..
So assume the engine was running..

That Yellow engine symbol shouldnt be on.. its often related to 'emissions'..

Might explain your 'lack of OOMPH..'

Back to Coolant and oil checks..
A torch..phone flashlight ..is ideal for the coolant
Tacho indicates engine running?

Suspect the primary fault is the throttle pedal - they are not too expensive (see eBay) and quite easy to change. That is then throwing up the errors on the other ECUs, and the Dualogic gearbox is quite "risk averse" so will not allow you to proceed if there are certain engine errors (and not reliably knowing the throttle position would be one of those).

The rattle just sounds like the tappets especially as it had been standing - not a particular worry (as long as it has oil!).

Don't go to a main dealer whatever you do - find a local Fiat independent.

Nick

Back