Technical Broken clutch pedal

Currently reading:
Technical Broken clutch pedal

Splash

As per the title, the wife's 2010 Fiat 500 1.2 Pop clutch pedal has broken near the weld where it pivots.

This is a common fault I understand.

Does anyone have a guide on how to replace the pedal? Is it a relatively easy job?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure it's a "common" fault, although I have seen it on a couple of cars (actually one was a Panda, but I think the parts are similar)
Both had identical underlying fault of seriously heavy clutch operation, in turn caused by a totally knackered clutch.
Both times I replaced with secondhand from local breakers.
Can't remember exact process, but it is pretty simple to work out once you see the replacement part.
As above, Club500-italia can probably supply one, and they're usually OK on prices.

Our old 1992 Panda Parade did this as did our old 1999 Seat Cordoba. The part that broke was slightly different on both assemblies because one was hydraulic whilst the other was a cable but "generically" similar failures. The Cordoba was the first to fail. I could clearly see where the weld had failed, it was a short run of mig weld which had simply torn out - not due to the weld being "bad". When I ordered the new part the parts assistant muttered something about "another one of those" and could quote the price to me immediately. Oops, I thought, think I'll have a closer look at this before I "splash the cash". So I stripped the pedal out and realized that the weld was little more than a large "tack weld" I beat it back into shape and ran a seam right up the joint with my MIG, reinstalled it and it never gave trouble again - ran that car "Toany" for some 18+ years. Had I bought the new pedal I'm guessing it would have eventually failed again. The Panda had a problem with where the cable (the old Mk1 had a cable clutch) terminated in the pedal cluster. It "star cracked" and the whole cable retainer started to pull through the bracket - sorry I've not perhaps described that very well, but you probably get the idea? - again I removed the pedal cluster, beat it back into shape and welded up all the cracks. Then I welded in some extra plate to strengthen it and she went on for years after that - had that car "Felicity" for over 20 years! So sometimes it's better to mend and modify/strengthen an existing component rather than just buying another one which still has the same inherent weakness which caused the original to fail?

I've ordered a secondhand part and will attack it at the weekend. Thanks for all the replies.
Is it just a case of removing the end circlip, popping off the master cylinder ball joint, sliding the bar along and pulling the pedal out?

Had a spare 20 minutes so took the broken pedal off but struggling to get the new one in place due to the steering column.
The old one came out in two parts so was easy.
If I disconnect the bottom column bolt to make room does anyone know the torque setting for when I do it up?
Thanks in advance

Had a spare 20 minutes so took the broken pedal off but struggling to get the new one in place due to the steering column.
The old one came out in two parts so was easy.
If I disconnect the bottom column bolt to make room does anyone know the torque setting for when I do it up?
Thanks in advance
My Haynes manual (5558 Fiat 500 and Panda '04 to '12) lists under steering and suspension:- Universal joint Clamp Bolt 33Nm (24lbf/ft) and it later goes on to describe the bolt as the Intermediate shaft lower clamp bolt and shows a picture of that bolt where the universal joint is fixed to the steering rack pinion. In the listing where it lists the torque figure there's an asterisk which shows at the bottom of the page "Do Not Reuse".

I don't know if this is a "stretch bolt" but as I've reused these bolts on many different makes of car without ever having a problem I suspect they may just be being "super careful" in making this recommendation? However I'm sure it'll be "peanuts" to buy so probably best to just do that.

Just to confirm for anyone else tackling this job on a Fiat 500 1.2 Pop, the lower steering column does need unbolting to get the new clutch pedal in place.

The new lower steering column pinch bolt from the Fiat main dealer costs £3.67.

Thanks for everyones contributions on the post.

Back