Styling bravo skirts

Currently reading:
Styling bravo skirts

Jug, where do you get your information from?

Fibreglass bodykits don't need to be fitted before they are sprayed. Complete nonsense. If the paint cracks its bad workmanship on behalf of the sprayer.

A fibreglass bodykit needs trial fitting and any modifications in order for it to sit properly. Then you spray the kit off the car. If a garage sprays the bodykit on the car they are just not professional.

Fibreglass isn't the best type of material as it is brittle and would recommend a genuine kit made from plastic if its to be fitted to your car. I recommend this as plastic is more durable against small impacts and wont crack off as easy.

fibreglass with paint on is very hard to fit without cracking the paint, fibreglass can flex, paint cant, something has to give. have you tried picking a 2 mat bumper up without making it flex, it requires 3 people and patience. if you are very careful not to flex the fibreglass while fitting it you wont crack the paint, but it isnt easy at all, and then it usually cracks anyway when you tighten the mounting points, causing flex.

i agree the most critical stage is preparing the kit prior to painting, but you must be a god if you've never cracked the paint on fibreglass, with hands that steady you could be a ninja master.

with a plastic kit you can paint it, swing it about, hit people over the head, and the paint is still on perfect. you can whack it into place with a fist and not worry about it.

you can make a hat out of paper, i saw it on art attack, it even keeps off the rain, but only for 5 mins, and people will laugh, much the same as fibreglass bodykits

Last edited:
I'm not trying to kick up a fuss but i've had lots of experience with fibreglass kits, moulds etc and i've never had the problems you've mention. I've cracked sideskirts on kerbs and i dont mean gently and the fibreglass cracked with the paint but it never flaked off. I've seen fibreglass front lip spoilers get snapped off but the paint is still intact right up to the break.

Like i said if its not prepped properly before painting of course it'll flake off and crack under stresses and twists. Anyway plastic is more recommended and solid than fibreglass.

what primer would you recommend between the gel coat and paint? i've always used grey cellulose in a fairly thick layer and im starting to think that was a mistake.

Well to tell the truth here i agree with jug one of the guys i work with brought a jun bodykit for his supra and it was fibreglass he took it to a body shop and got it profetionally fitted and sprayed bye them and arfter a blast back from donnington motor museum on the motorway the paint of the front of the kit had craked because the fibreglass is so flimsy and moves about alot and for those of you that dont know jun isnt just a back street fibrglass shop jun build some of the fastest jap cars around including a 243mph supra so basically they are one of the best engine tuning and bodykit manufacturers around and even their fibreglass is flimsy and cr4p.

BUT take this from someone who works with carbon fibre all day everyday. Sometimes their are bad batches of bonding used hence why about 4 mounths ago we had to scrap 100 maclaren slr bonnets because it was a bad batch of bonding causing delalms.

Now the problem is i havent seen any plastic bumpers or sideskirts that look any good so basically if you want your car to look how you want it you have to take a risk and buy a fibrglass kit and hope its not a bad batch.

But if anyone knows ware i can get some plastic body kits ill be very happy

forgot to mention, once you choose the model you should select "exterior styling" rather than "bodykits", there's more choice in the exterior styling section. if you want to buy several parts at once (eg skirts & front valance & rear diffuser & spoiler etc) i suggest you phone them and ask for a deal. a little over a year ago i got a 15% discount off the total price for a friend of mine simply by asking nicely.

omg the front corner spliters that i wanted for my car but at halford catalog same manufacturer they want 80 quid online they want 23 quid bit of a mark up then lol

i've said it before and i'll say it again-
NEVER GO TO HALFORDS!

they really do rip people off all day every day. everything in halfords is way over priced. even window wipers and oil filters. halfords is only good for one thing, pulling up in the carpark and laughing at all the stickers on employees' cars.

Back