Styling Bravo Automatic Boot Opening

Currently reading:
Styling Bravo Automatic Boot Opening

Okay, so after a bit of planning, wrong parts ordered and perseverance I have modified the Bravo boot to make it open automatically when using the key fob.

Why do this? Simple, I think it looks great and it's really useful when you have your hands full - especially if like me you have kids!

Please bare in mind that this is a WORKING PROGRESS and I mean this literally, due to the cold temperatures over the last two weeks there have been a handful of times where the boot has only opened half way. This could be due to either the cold weather making the gas struts stiffer, or that the springs I have purchased have lost their factory freshness and are no longer effective at popping the boot up. Either way, my goal is to create a set-up which will work all year round.

For anyone that want's to actively get involved, here is what I have bought so far;

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/product.cgi?action=view&id=31088

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/fixed/8mm-rod/gs8-18-210-255

I set the NM force to 400, the standard struts are supposedly 380nm but they won't be after many years of use! I have also removed my rear wiper motor so the boot is lighter. I would advise a maximum of 420NM because 400NM is already powerful and I fear any higher would result in a boot that's too hard to close.

To see it in action, please see my short rather cheesy YouTube vid - it's my first video be kind!

My next plan will be to slightly enlarge the springs, possibly from B20x32 to B20x38. I have to be very careful though because too long and the boot won't close!

I will keep this thread active with updates until I am happy with the all-year-round results.

Any questions are always welcomed and thanks for reading :)

Thanks for the links

Just order the B20x32 Medium Load Die Spring and will order the GS8-18-210-255 Fixed Force Gas Strut. (y)

Did the springs just roll onto the strut?

Last edited:
No worries,

You need to unscrew the ends, and slide the spring on. I also coupled the spring with a large nut as this packed it out nicely. You may notice it under the silver insulation tape.

You will also need some washers to stop the springs from going off the end. Look closely in my video.

Good luck!

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Any chance you could take some pictures of the springs how it looks on the car? and what you have used. Thanks

Any chance you could take some pictures of the springs how it looks on the car? and what you have used. Thanks

I will only write a full guide once the set-up is fully working. There's no point at the moment because it's already failing on cold mornings (y)

I don't want to give anyone false guidance - so I will post up a full guide once fully operational.

You are, of course, more than welcome to try it out for yourself and get modding :D

I understand that this prototype is just in its testing phase but I would like to see one picture of the Strut, You said you packed it out with some nuts ? or something can I see as I couldnt see it clear in the Video. :D

Hey Mate,

Just got my springs this morning and Im unsure how can I remove one of the ball bearings which is on the strut so that I can roll the springs on I have standard factory Struts.

Any Idea?

I did remove the struts, but shown in the picture below: I was not able to remove the plastic part (on the left side) so that I can roll the springs on. They are factory standard struts. Any Idea ?

mTmnPe-qiFf-zj8_L7lNylw.jpg

I'd be scared of pressing it while driving!

Would be a good way to slow down though in an emergency...

Back