General Bravo Alternator Belt Pulleys

Currently reading:
General Bravo Alternator Belt Pulleys

lee_gti

Hi,

I have recently had a rattling noise appear on my bravo and thinking it was the same issue I had a couple of years back I replaced the alternator belt tensioner but this did not solve the issue (so some money down the drain there).

I have since looked back at the previous thread started by myself on this issue and there was mention of the crank pulley also causing a similar sound.

vyqt6t.jpg

Can anyone confirm whether or not the fixed tightener (circled in blue) would cause such a noise.

Is the driving pulley circled in red also called the crank pulley? would this also be called the over running alternator pulley (as this is the only part available according to my local motor factor).

Any advice would be appreciated (especially after changing the alternator tensioner yesterday in the rain for no reason).

Thanks

Lee

The part circled blue (9) Is a fixed pulley, Personaly i think it should be changed regularly at the same time as the auxiliary tensioner and belt. Fairly Cheap

The part circled in red (5) Is the crank shaft auxiliary pulley. This is infact two parts of metal with only a rubber core holding them together. Inspect it when changing the auxiliary tensioner or at any opportunity while working near it. It should only need replacing if or when it fails. Around £80

Something like this:
DPV1004.jpg

I would prefer to buy Dayco. Either part would cause a rattle, I would suspect part 9 before 5.

Hi

thanks for the info.

do you know if (9) would be called a "over running alternator pulley"?

thanks

Lee

Not sure lee, ive never heard someone call it that before. It sounds like a translation to me, The Fixed Auxiliary pully (9) does run against the back of the belt so maybe it is a rough translation from behind, back, ontop or something similar?.
Hi

thanks for the info.

thanks

Lee

Hi

thanks for the info.

thanks

Lee

Over running alternator pulley is an alternator pulley with a built in clutch. (so it can over-run) ;)

If you go for the crankshaft pulley (item 5) there was a modification to it at some point. If your car has the older version and you get the new one, you will also need 4 shorter RIBE bolts (item 4) to go with it.

Last edited:
Hi,

So is (9) an alternator pulley with a built in clutch?

Thanks

Lee

No... (9) is a fixed tensioner for the auxiliary belt, as circled blue in your diagram. And as posted by Adrian in post #2.

The part labeled SGR.55301 is the alternator. It and it's pulley are shown in section 55301 of ePER.

Very few cars have a clutch type alternator pulley. Most have a normal pulley. Your old style Bravo is very unlikely to have one.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have looked at the image and I think item (9) might actually be the belt, so I think (10) is the one that might need replacing and hopefully this is the correct bit.

Lee

Hi,

I have since had the belt off and replaced the fixed auxillary pulley which was on its way out as the seal had perished but this did not solve the problem.

It appears to be the power steering pump (or the wheel relating to the pump in the same belt area).

The power steering fluid does have a burnt smell to it.

How big a job is replacing the power steering pump? Is there any way to test this before purchasing what is appearing to be a hard to get item?

If I was to get try and purchase a used part does any one know what other models have the same engine/part as my car (Fiat Bravo 1.9 JTD HLX 100 - 2001)?

Regards

Lee

Last edited:
It would be worth you changing your power steering fluid in any case, before you go replacing things.

There was a recent thread concerning doing this, referring to a 2.0 HGT petrol but probably the same procedure. Just drain the fluid, refill and bleed the system by running it lock to lock a few times.

Manky old fluid can cause funny effects and groaning noises, etc. Try this first.

Back