General Bravo Advice Needed!

Currently reading:
General Bravo Advice Needed!

Kat123

Title is a bit vague, sorry about that!

First of all I should point out that I don't really have repair skills! I am getting my car in the garage hopefully this weekend but I just want a bit of a heads up before I take it in...

I have a 2000 Bravo 1.2 16v 80sx

A year ago I had the head gasket repaired and it's been fine since then. I have been checking my levels every week since then due to extreme paranoia that it might go again!

Last week I noticed my water/coolant level had dropped a bit, I kept an eye on it, on Wednesday (just gone) the heater started blowing cold, (which it did last time) I followed the excellent step by step guide from this forum on how the bleed a radiator and got the air out and my heater blowing hot again. I let the car cool then went back to it to check, my oil and coolant levels were good but white smoke started coming out the exhaust.

I haven't driven the car since but today checked on it again, the levels were all still fine but checked the oil cap for the dreaded mayo/baileys and there was some on the cap and it was still blowing smoke when I started it up.
(There was no goo in the expansion tank)

The only experience I have of head gasket issues it when it went last year. So like I said, I'm trying to get it seen as soon as possible but would like a starting point before I go in.

Any advice or general knowledge would be great as the forum helped me out last time :D

Thanks

I should add, the temp gauge never showed it over heating at any point (whether this is fudged as well I don't know!)
But I can't be certain the fan was kicking in, I changed the fuse and checked it was turning freely last night, which it was - could a thermostat issue has triggered it all?

Thanks again!

From what you had put to start its obviously a water loss as you bled it and the level came back up. Now any water loss could create this a loose hose leaking radiator etc.
How much water would you estimate it took to get the system topped up?

From the second part that white smoke is being given off as the water you have put in is probably now leaking out and that you have mayo on the cap certainly points to a head gasket issue.

a garage should be able to identify if this is the case.
Is highly possible that the original repair was not carried out correctly as possibly the head of the engine could have warped and not been skimmed and provided a weak point for the gasket to blow again.

Thanks for the replies:

Bridges: It was about 2 litres in total.

m20n25: There was gurgling behind the dash before I bled it but it has stopped now.

If its gurgling then I'd be inclined to think you have an imminent hg failure again.

Best to listen for gurgling again when starting up. If it comes back, most likely its gone (n)

Did the car get overheated badly when it went the 1st time?

sometimes the gurgling is not just the pressure going through the water, it is the air which is in the system as a result of low fluid, often with a leak gurgling can be heard through the heater matrix, totally agree it sounds like a Hg.

@kat, 2 litre is a massive water consumption. :(

Ok, thanks again for your help, most appreciated.
Kat

hi, had the same issue with my Brava 1.6 16V. water level goes down when i checked in the morning, top up more than a liter, after running 30 mins, water goes up and leaks in the cap, though temp just half in the gauge, fan works, heating works. no mayo in the oil filler cap, oil level gauge checked no signs of water mixing up with oil. I traveled 160 miles yesterday (motorway), goes fine but coolant is leaking in radiator cap, pressure builds. this morning water level is up to the opening of the radiator, started and drive 2 miles, no heater and temp goes up 2 notches above half, coolant leaking in the cap. stop the engine and cool down, then checked coolant level is at min, top up then bleeds until heater ok. drive 10 miles temp is ok but coolant is leaking in the cap. possibly to much pressure in the system. i havent been to a garage yet to check if HG issue or else. could anybody share their experiences? appreciate much folks

had replaced cap, still leaking, pop to a garage they done water pump and thermostat. well folks after that spending still the same. heater is on and off, water is leaking in the cap, pressure is building up. one mechanic said might be heater chamber blockage....or faulty thermostat even though its new. don't know folks, mine done 87000miles. 40000 motorway miles as am driving to London once a week

Back