Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Currently reading:
Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

S

Sid and coke

I've been having a bit of a problem with my 1999 100sx. I reckon that my local dealers has incorrectly fitted my Timing belt a while back. Unbeleivable I know. Like i said I only suspect this to be the case at the moment, until i get it checked out properly.If my theory and the Haynes manual are correct, then you should be able to see one painted mark on each Camshaft sprocket. These marks should both be in view at the same time and they should line up with the angled grooves at the side edges of the viewing window. Just like these:
Inlet Valves aligned.JPG

A bit of a cheek , but, is there any chance of anyone who owns one of these Engines to check their Camshaft timing marks for me, it pretty easy to do.

1) Park car on firm level ground and apply handbrake.
2) Jack up RH front wheel of car using the cars Jack, just like changing a wheel, so far.
3) Remove small rectangular plate in the top half of the Timing belt cover, it is held in place with one allen head screw.
4) Engage car in 5th gear ( ignition off - keys removed)
5) Turn RH roadwheel until you see a painted marks come into view.
6) Like i said , i think that both marks should be aligned, but as the garage mechanic this morning told me they are only a 'Rough Guide' I'm not so sure without checking another vehicle.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rough guide?!??!!!! You are kidding me?? He did not actually say that?

Next time they bill you just say the total is a 'rough guide'.

So how else do you tell without taking the top off the engine and getting the locking blocks out?

Re: Re: Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Rough guide!!!

Surely they have to be smack on???

Daz

Re: Re: Re: Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Hows the HGT?

155BHP (rough guide)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Alot better thanks Tom, i blew away a 7 series on the way back from Notts. He was about 2 feet (literaly!) away from by back bumper in the outside lane of the motorway, on a bend..(cheeky git), so i got to the straight and stuck my foot down...he he, that pissed him off.

How come you didnt go?

Daz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Had a gig the night before and got home just before 4am and did NOT want a long day on Sunday.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Thats fair enough...will you be at Trax, it not far for you..is it?

Daz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Nope, its the Plasa show (pro lighting and sound association) up in Londonso I'll be there instead. :)

I'll have to do a few more shows when the ICE is done. It should be sweeeeeeeeet.

So what the hell was wrong with your motor?? Its bad if the ECU can get that far up its own arse.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bravo/a 100 or 1.6 owners - engine help needed.

Just before i reset it again, i E-mailed fiat in Cardiff, they were actually quite good, they suggested

"before you bring down, and we have a look at it and charge you for a diagnostic, try reseting the ECU" - WOW!

I was speaking to the guy for about 30 mins, after describing the fault etc, and the previous owner, the guy said it could have been because the previous owner was a very slow driver, and leaving the battery off the car for a while, then when it got reset, it configured itself to the way she drives.

Honestly, now, i dont really care. :)

Daz

Rough Guide

"Rough guide?!??!!!! You are kidding me?? He did not actually say that?"

I sh!t you not. Them where his actual words !
Before i went in I jacked up the front wheel and had everything in place to show them. I had one of the 'shirt and ties' out looking at it at first, when it got a bit complicated, he went and got one of the 'oilys' from the workshop,(i'm an Oily in a different proffession so am allowed to say that :) ).
When the guy came out with that comment I pointed out that the 'Tie' had just stated that; "these modern engines are quite highly tuned and so 1 or 2 teeth out is a huge margin of error" . F***ing right, thought I !

When he came out with the rough guide comment , I looked at him incredulously, and even the Tie looked a bit embarressed. Ah, so this is one of your, "top Fiat guys" then. Hmmm.....

I've taken a centre punch and lightly dinked the middle of the painted marks, just in case they mysteriously 'disappear', with a bit of solvent, during the inspection on Thursday.
I'll let you know what the outcome is, but it would still be nice to get a comparison with another car.

Maybe 'Rough guide Roger' fitted the belt last year and so was trying to cover a bit of arse.

Rule No 1: Don't ever try to bullsh!t a bullsh!tter.

I suppose i should add that I could well end up with egg on my face with this one, i'll be honest enough to say so too if thats the case. Maybe the Valve timing is correct and something else is at fault, somehow i don't think so , but we'll see....