Bravo 1.4sx - misfiring/stalling!

Currently reading:
Bravo 1.4sx - misfiring/stalling!

A

adam white

can anyone help me!...my november 97 1.4 sx looses power and misfires and feels like it has a lack of speed as if something is holding back the accelleration!...been to the dealer..they replaced the lambda valve and it seemed to be ok for a few weeks....but then it started again with the same symptoms...but intermitently...took it backto the dealer who checked it and said all was ok..but valves could be problem!...i've noticed that the barchetta suffers from a sticking valve problem that has a kit from Fiat to fix it!...is it the same with the 1.4 sx and if so can i get one????...the car is undrivable at high speed!...too dangerous when the power drops off andpics up erratically!...help...i love my fiat and don't want to sell it and get a ford instead!!
Thanks

Untitled

HI ADAM ,I REACENTLY HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AFTER I SERVICED MY CAR MYSELF AND IT TURND OUT TO BE THE SPARK PLUGS. ONE OF THEM WASNT EVERY NOW AND AGAIN AND THE CAR WAS ONLY FIRING ON THREE CYLINDERS SO TRY TO CHECK YOUR SPARK PLUGS...

Untitled

thanks Graham!..i'll give it a try...i assumed as i'd just serviced it myself! that all the plugs were ok as they were new!

Spark Plugs

Graham,

Where did you find out the spark plug gapping specs.

What plugs did you opt for?
Want to change mine but don't know what gap they should be set to, any ideas?

Thanks
Tom.

Missing / Lumpy 1.4 12V engine

I've got a May 98 R 1.4 SX which has suffered from exactly the same problem.It misfires when cold, feels restricted and jerky when accelerating and has a single tappet noise which comes and goes ( but mostly comes ).

A work colleague of mine had a Nov 98 S 1.4 S which started along this path. Its ended up with a sticking valve which jammed. It got sorted under warranty ...... however the Leeds dealership made a mess of it and somehow didn't fit the power steering pump belt back correctly. A few days after the belt came off and lodged itself under the timing belt, stripped it and subsequently bent all 12 valves. the embarrassed dealer allowed him to exhange it for a 97 1.6 SX.

Back to mine......... I think I have a defective valve but its not developed into the above story yet. As I have no warranty left on mine, I'm taking it easy with it and am considering trading it in for a Multipla when there's a few pre-registered / short lease models available in the sub £10k region.

Ian Jarvis

warranty

On my Bravo i have 3 years total warranty. You said that your car was a 98' mod. Then after ny calculations you have an year left????????

WARRANTY ONLY 1 YEAR IN THE UK

AS WELL AS PAYING APPROX 30 . 40% MORE FOR OUR CARS IN THE UK, WE ONLY GET 1 YEAR WARRANTY FROM FIAT PLUS MANY OTHERS. ONLY EAST ASIAN CAR MAKERS OFFER 3 YEAR WARRANTY.

IAN

OK, but......

Cars may be expensive in the UK but not as high as in Norway. My Fiat Bravo s 1,4 1996. Cost new 170 000 Norwegian "kroner". That is about £16 000 + my insurance: (I'm 18 so it's pretty high) £1800 for a year. + the yearly "road payment": £180 + gasoline: nearly £1!!!!!!!!!(one litre) God it is expensive to be a car ovner in Norway!!!!!!!!!

OK BUT >>>>>>>>>>

I bet the relative pay for the average person is considerably higher.
The 'average' annual salary in the UK is £20k.

I think its about time you Norwegian chaps joined the E.U. to back us Britts up as fellow oil producers. ( I work in heavy engineering for offshore oil & gas industries )

IJ