Brava - Stalling

Currently reading:
Brava - Stalling

D

Dillinger

This might be covered by "Erratic Idling" in the fixing guide but your opinions would be appreciated.

'96 1.6ELX Brava - Stalling.

Some times (quite often) I pull up to a junction and the engine just dies, some times even if a little slow changing gear.
This happens no matter what temp the engine is (even after a 3 hour drive).
It seems that the revs just drop to low, but it will tick over all day and not die with steady revs.

I have already replaced the air filter and plugs, so is this going to be an expensive fix or just a tweak?

Any help to keep me away from the dealer charges greatly appreciated.

Dill.

Another dodgey 1.6. Its either a stuck idle valve (easy fix) or the curse of the crap 1.6 injectors. (not easy fix)

Try the idle valve first, its covered in the haynes manual.

Stalling

Mine has the same Probs - altough its a 1999 1.2 16v
its been to fiat twice - and nothing shows up on the diagnostics - so they think i'm lying. Twats!

I may have to go private for diagnosis - only thing is the cars under warranty for a year and i could end up voiding it.

Check the Fuel pressure regulator sensor- sometimes it get clogged up and sends crap info to the ECU.

Idle valve i thinks your better option... mine still isnt solved keep you posted.

Re: Stalling

I've experienced this problem a couple of times in about 3 years.

Once I was actually looking at the rev meter when it happened. It seemed to occur when approaching junctions and the like, when I'm changing down.

It seemed that if I pushed the clutch in when the engine was spinning around 2500 rpm or higher, the engine revs dropped (as expected), but a stall happened.

I drive round the problem by changing down last minute and using more engine breaking.

I think its really a design fault.

Re: Re: Stalling

My mum had exactly that problem in her Ford Ka - the Ford garage changed the Lambda sensor and that fixed it.

JamesO