Technical Brava/Marea front wiper problems

Currently reading:
Technical Brava/Marea front wiper problems

cgordon

Hi all. My First post!
My Marea Weekend front wiper motor will not park and the hesitation action doesn't work. I am told that the mechanisms are the same for the Bravao/Brava. French Cars at Shrewsbury (good guys) say I need a complete new or good S/H motor as the parts are integral to the motor.
Is this right please?
There seem to be a few used ones on Ebay...
Chris

Sorry to intrude on your post but I appear to have the same problem and I have no idea what has happened, but I would appreciate any relevant suggestions, concerning the wiper action on my 2002 Brava.
My windscreen wipers will not work on the first or second position yet when I engage the third position they work fine (fast position).
I do not know if it is electrical or mechanical (wiper motor), any help would be appreciated.

Hi Tony. Sorry to hear you are suffering too!
I have been reading earlier posts and it seems that the offending relay and/or connections are on the motor unit itself. I am hunting out a used unit as a new one is around £175 I am told. I shall let you know how I get on. Iam wondering first whether a good cleaning of the contacts will work. Shall try tomorrow.
Regards
Chris

First i would disconnect the wiper arms 13mm socket for each arm. Second turn the power on and do one swipe of the wipers with the arms removed, this will put the motor in the proper park position. Third re-attach the arms in the correct position taking care not to turn the mechanism when tightening the bolts.

If that does not work, the wiper relay is on the back of the wiper motor.

Im not 100% sure but I think the only difference between Bravo and Marea wiper system is the column stalk switch giving an extra function.

Make sure the unswitched live is still attached.

A wiper motor needs a switched supply to switch it on and off, but needs a permanent live to keep the power on until it parks.

If it is still there, then it will be the tracks inside the motor assembly that have burnt out.

Bravo/a motor will be the same as Marea

Cheers

SPD

thanks for the input I will have a look once the snow has passed. The car is under 18 inches of snow right now.

Yes - thanks Gents.
Perhaps tomorrow. The outlaws came today.
Great forum.
Chris

Hope nobody minds me adding to this thread.
I have been having this issue as well, but it seems to be very intermitent, As of yesterday they were working again as they should but at any point again they will show the same unable to park and no intermittent swipe.

I'm reading whats said about this unswitched live and wondering if thats my issue rather then wiper motor, but I guess the motor could still be the cause?

Will do.
Okay, next question ;)
I've not had a poke about but is the wiper motor easy access and clear in sight or hidden under anything ?
Also the Live feed, is that easy to spot ?

:)Hi Mr Scorg
My good lady friends Brava has the very same probs with wipers
To make things worse the fuse blows every so often and I have had to put in 30 amps to keep the wipers working but this still blows every so often
Help needed asap
I think there may be a fire soon
Cheers
BGT
Will do.
Okay, next question ;)
I've not had a poke about but is the wiper motor easy access and clear in sight or hidden under anything ?

Will do.
Okay, next question ;)

short answer, no.

Looooong answer, the motor is located under the scuttle panel (The black plastic thing under the windshield) To remove the panel you need to remove the wiper blades. Remove the 13 mm nuts and give em a good yank.
The panel is held on by a number of screws along the bottom, 2 screws under caps on the corners and a number of plastic clips. Undo the screws, slide a hand under the plastic and carfully pull it away from the windscreen, the plastic clips should come loose with a bit of force. I suspect the propper way to do it would be to slide the panel out of them (The scuttle panel is 2 pieces btw) but I haven't been able to do it like that.

The red arrow indicate where screws are. Not marked are 2 more screws just out of shot to the bottom, and 2 screws next to the windscreen underneath a little plastic cover (Prise that off with a small screwdriver or knife)
SUNP0005.jpg

And a shot of the underside of the scuttle and what's underneath
SUNP0010.jpg

The motor unit itself is held on by 3 allen key bolts (Size 6 I think). One by the motor, 2 at the ends of the frame. The motor is covered by a plastic cover. Have some plastic bags or something on hand to replace this, mine was so old and brittle it fell to pieces as I pulled it off.

SUNP0008.jpg

Note, in this pic the wipermotor is NOT in the park position as I mounted the crank wrong the previous day. (And wipers don't work well if they try to wipe the bonnet :D)

The motor is switched with 4 pins. The outer pin on the side with 2 pins next to each other is the ground. The motor is switched on the different setting by putting +12 volts on one of the other 3 pins.

To troubleshoot, pull the plug off the motor, switch the wipers to intermittent. Get a multimeter and measure between the ground and the other pins on the plug. One of them should give 12 volts. Switch the wipers to low speed and repeat, a different pin should now have 12 volts. Switch to high speed and measure the last pin, this should now have 12 volts. (Note, every time only one pin should give 12 volts, the others should be 0.)

If one setting doesn't give 12 volts to any pin there is something wrong inside the car.

Reattach the motor and use the single wipe function (Pushing the wiper stalk up) to let the motor make a cycle. Listen for the relay on the motor switching. It should give a loud clear click-click as it starts the motor and starts moving. After the park contact inside leaves the contact pad, the relay switches off, which causes the second click.

If there are no clicks at all the relay is probably broken and you'll need a replacement motor. If there is only one click something is wrong with the motor or the park contacts.

The contacts and relay are located in a white housing on the motor. By bending open the locking tabs you can remove the electronics box from the top and open up the contact disc and contacts. Open this up and check the condition. It'll probably be filled with grease (This is like this from factory) so wipe away all excess grease and clean the contacts. Check for damage or excessive wear. I used some contact spray on the contact arms to make sure I got good contact and that they were clean. If everything is ok, close everything back up and hook it up to the car to see if this has solved the problem.

If this hasn't and the motor might be failing there is the option of dismantling the motor itself. This is not that difficult, but take your time. Make photo's and take notes so you can put it back together (See comment about mounting the crank the wrong way under the 3rd photo :bang:)

The motor is held onto the wiperframe by means of 3 hex-head bolts on the crank side (10 mm wrench) First remove the crank by taking of the nut (13 mm) and giving it a wiggle and a yank (Same as the wipers). Then undo the 3 nuts.

The motor housing is held to the gear casing by means of 2 "C" shaped clips which are held in by 2 small allen key bolts from the top (Gear casing) Remove the bolts and slide the C clips out of the casing. You can then pull the casing off the motor. (Pull straight up and be carefull. The brush housing and rotor with shaft stay attached to the gear casing and the rotor is attracted by the permanent magnets on the housing.)

Clear out the motor housing of any dirt and debris. keep it with the opening pointing down as much as possible. There is a bearing at the top and you don't want grid and dirt falling in there.
Check the brushes for wear and make sure they can move freely in their housing. It is easy to check this by moving the brush housing plate around. The brushes should stay in contact with the commutator at all times. Clean any dirt or grime. Also check each of the 3 wires and make sure they are still connected. (They go to a contact next to the brush, the brush is then connected to that point with a small piece of braided copper)
Check the commutator for wear, chips or bad spots and give it a good cleaning as well. (spray some contact spray on a cloth and use that to wipe it for a thorough clean)

If everything looks good and moves freely it is time to put it all back together again.

Once you've got the motor assembled and back on the frame (The crank goes on with the crankpin on the motor side, in line with the connecting rods) mount it on the car and check that it works. Make sure it is turning in the right direction. If it works screw the frame into place and put the plastic motor cover back on or improvise your own. Then put the scuttle panel back on. Reattach the wipers, before tightening them down, align them with the alignment marks on the windscreen.

SUNP0012.jpg

(Srry, crappy pic again)

On my brava there were 3 marks, one in the centre for the driver side wiper, and 2 further out to the sides for the off-side wiper. MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS IN THE PARK POSITION before aligning the blades on the appropriate mark and tightening the nut.

You should be all done now. (y)

PS: While you're under the scuttle, clear out all the grime and leaves from under there. There was quite a collection in my brava

Last edited:
mine have never parked since day 1.well the passenger side doesnt.always sits over the tax disc cover,bit annoying as before i get in the car i always push it down.The wipers seem fine,every click works and so does the 'flick' up and the intermitdent.
will it be just a case of taking the wipers off and relining them?

Mike

hi everyone i need help with my bravo wiper allignment.
i have had my motor out of my bravo with the arms and everything took the motor off stripped and cleaned it when i put it all back together the wipers went funny i put my wipers back on and one goes down and the other goes up how can i fix this please reply i need advice from the people who knows best please reply back to me asap

thanks
dan

You probably turned one of the arms on the wiper spindles towards the top when putting it back together. take it apart and then make sure both arms are on the same side when putting it back together again.

Back