Technical Brava 1.6 16v Hesitation Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Brava 1.6 16v Hesitation Problem

paul20vt

A friend of mine has just picked up a 1.6 Brava with a hesitation problem that seems to only be apparent when the engine is warm. After seeing the car it had the wrong plugs and leads fitted. The right parts have now been fitted but it still seems to be hesitant/misfiring more so when the engine is warm.

The engine management light is on so i had the fault codes read and the only one showing was the phase sensor, would this sensor cause this fault on this engine? Anyone know where it is located?

Thanks

phase sensor is cam sensor. sheet from manual attached for info.

i doubt that could be your problem.

your problem sounds more like the early stages of injector failure. its very very very common on the 1.6 and easy to test for. jsut measure the resistance of the injectors. all should be approx 16.5ohms, any that are less than 13ohms should be replaced.

more detailed instrucitons are availalbe in old threads. to save me repeating the same info 3 times a day i tell people to search for it instead. what can i say i'm lazy :D

Attachments

• camsensor1600.JPG
    camsensor1600.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 156
phase sensor is cam sensor. sheet from manual attached for info.

i doubt that could be your problem.

your problem sounds more like the early stages of injector failure. its very very very common on the 1.6 and easy to test for. jsut measure the resistance of the injectors. all should be approx 16.5ohms, any that are less than 13ohms should be replaced.

more detailed instrucitons are availalbe in old threads. to save me repeating the same info 3 times a day i tell people to search for it instead. what can i say i'm lazy :D

I'll check the resistance of the injectors first. doesn't the cam sensor control what cylinder gets fuel and when though?

yes, the cam sensor is used for injection timing. that is why i doubt it could be your problem.

the ecu could think the cam sensor is the problem if an injector is leading to unburnt fuel entering the exhaust. the combination of the slight misfire and the lambda detecting fuel could make the ecu assume the cam sensor signal is implausible. in reality the cam sensor is fine and so is the injection timing, the problem is an injector.

yes, the cam sensor is used for injection timing. that is why i doubt it could be your problem.

the ecu could think the cam sensor is the problem if an injector is leading to unburnt fuel entering the exhaust. the combination of the slight misfire and the lambda detecting fuel could make the ecu assume the cam sensor signal is implausible. in reality the cam sensor is fine and so is the injection timing, the problem is an injector.

OK, all sorted now thanks. Two injectors were showing 8 OHM's where as the other two were around 17 OHM's. One looked like it been replaced in the past, picked up 2 for £120 all in. All sorted now but even after resetting the management i'm still seeing the phase sensor fault code.

if you havent cleared the fault code it will stay there. that is why it is there is the first place, and why it will be there next time too. clear the codes.

Back