Technical Brava 1.4SX - cold running problem.

Currently reading:
Technical Brava 1.4SX - cold running problem.

Dozzer

HI all,

First post here.. :)

I have an S reg Brava 1.4sx (45k on the clock)

Recently I started having a problem that when it's cold the engine seems to hunt up and down the revs, only noticeable when you dip the clutch or pull up at the lights. Blipping the throttle usually clears it..

Could there be gunk on the throttle body sensors ?
It also has some power loss (intermittant) when pulling up a hill when cold.

The engine runs fine when warm.

Any ideas ?

Doz

jug said:
thats usually the coolant temperature sensor on the 1.4

Well, the dash temp display works fine... Where is the coolant temp sensor ?

not sure where it is on the 1.4 but a quick glance in a haynes manual will tell you. i agree its strange to suspect a temp sensor when it seems to be working ok, but i've seen it be the cause on 1.4s even when it appears to be working, more than once lately. dont ask me how or why, it still puzzles me. but its easy to change and cheap so worth a try, unless you'd rather spend the money on a diagnostics at fiat. thats often a safer way to decide what to try, bu it costs £30 and they may say they cant find anything wrong (happens a lot).

Mine went i think, kept stalling when cold, fuel consumption up and down.
replaced the thermostat and temp sensor (shop4parts - cooling-misc - about£15) and sorted it. dead easy to do, on the top right of the engine as you look at it, has a blue connector, unbolt old one, bolt in new one (has captive copper washer), don't need to change coolant or anything tricky (do it when the engine is COLD!)

Back