General Brava 1.2 16V wont fire

Currently reading:
General Brava 1.2 16V wont fire

Chaddie

My wife owns a 1999 Brava 1.2 16v 80sx which just wont start no more. It packed up about a month ago, was not firing, so i changed the coil. This worked for about a week, then the car died again. I put on another coil, and the car started fine, drove it home, and now it is sat on the drive unable to start. It just wont spark at all. There is no power getting to the coil. I have just changed the Map sensor and Crank sensor, as I read somewhere that is one of these is faulty it would stop the car from firing. Has anyone got any ideas??? Please help, its been more trouble than what its worth at the moment.

Last edited:
Is it possible that it could be the Injection/Ignition electronic control unit, and if so, is it easy to check it?
It looks like it is in a awkward place to get to. Also would the gap between crank sensor and crank cause the problem of no power getting to coil?
Or could it be the dreaded ECU packed up (Hope not :eek: :eek: )

yes it could be an ecu fault, the best way to check is a diagnostic, if the ecu fails to communicate thats a good sing that its dead.

the gap on the crank sensor is critical, so is the angle it sits at.

if the key code light going off?

If its the starter give me a shout, i've got one for sale :p

hmmmm I have tested the crank sensor ohms, and unless I am a complete fool, i dont get no reading between to two outside pins :confused: Between the centre pin and either outside one, i get a reading of .9 Is it possible to have 2 knackered crank sensors, admitidly, the one i used to replace original with was second hand. I have tested them both between the 2 outer pins and neither one gives a reading. I assume I am checking the pins on the plug on the sensor, the male plug, not the ones from the cable that the sensor plugs into in.

As for the gap and angle, could not find that in the manual, but I never actually moved the bracket, just slid the old one out and pushed in new (second hand) one and bolted it to bracket.

Last edited:
Is this the same engine as a Punto. Trying to find second parts for these 1.2 16v bravas is a nightmare. If the engines are the same, my local breakers may have a punto, and so might be able to find a crank sensor easier than this one i bought that dont work. :mad:

if you check the attached sheet you can see that to test the sensor you need to use the centre pin and the left hand pin (when connector push clip is top). you should get 9600ohms (+/-10%). obviously you test using the pins on the sensor, not the connector.

you can also test the wires for these 2 pins using the ecu connector pins (32B and 22B) and the 2 pins on the sensor's connector.

you should also check the 3rd pin has an earth on the wiring connector.

Attachments

• 1.2cps.JPG
    1.2cps.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 39
Well yet another crank sensor and the damn thing still wont fire :eek: Any other suggestions before i get tempted to tow it to the breakers yard :( There is no power getting to the coil at all. Was told this could be because the crank sensor was faulty. 3 different, although not new, crank sensors later and i dont think this is the case. It makes me wanna swear :mad: :bang:

if there is definately no LT signal going from the ecu to the coil (how did you test this?) then the possibilties are:
-crank sensor fault
-crank sensor incorrectly positioned
-crank sensor wiring damaged
-ecu fault
-power supply to ecu fault
-ecu earth fault
-LT signal wiring damaged

is the orange key code light switching off on the dash?

I think you've covered the crank sensor ok that leaves ecu and wiring as jug says. Had a problem recently with one those ecu's, immo worked ok but no sparks etc. I got replacement from scrappy swapped over the immo chip inside with the old one- everything ok. £20 for ecu, but you need to get someone to swap the chip over maybe.

I tested the actual plug connecting to the ingnition coil while turning the car over with a volt meter. There was no readings what so ever.

Ever pushing this thing closer to the scrap yard :eek:

Back