Technical braking/turning problem?

Currently reading:
Technical braking/turning problem?

Hi FF, i think i may have some sort of problem, but im unsure if it serious or not...

i recently got 35mm springs on the front and the back and recently i've been hearing a grinding/rubbing noise when turning right.

it only happens when i turn right. left turning is normal.

i can hear it alot more when i press the brake and turn right, like when i am parking into my drive. but when i brake in a straight line, i cannot hear anything.

i dont really know what to suggest apart from a driver side CV joint?

thanks,
Carl.

Are you sure that the flexible brake hose has not fallen out of its clamp on the strut? It could be that braking is causing the pipe to flx towards your tyre under pressure.

hmm, im not too sure. but thanks for your input.

would it also flex when turning right and no preasure is being applied to the brake pedal?

thanks,
Carl.

If this has only happened since the suspension change, look there first.

The brake pipe should be attached to the upright, its quite obvious where it should be.

Put the offside wheels on a high kerb, trun the wheel to the right and stick your head underneath to see if anything is rubbing on naything else.

You should see witness marks.

Cheers

SPD

If this has only happened since the suspension change, look there first.

The brake pipe should be attached to the upright, its quite obvious where it should be.

Put the offside wheels on a high kerb, trun the wheel to the right and stick your head underneath to see if anything is rubbing on naything else.

You should see witness marks.

Cheers

SPD

thanks for that SPD.

i'll have a good look tomorow :D. should the marks be really obvious?

also, the car has only been dropped 35mm so imo i didnt think i should have any problems with it lol.

If its only rubbing on full lock you might not see much. But if it is the hose, the rubber will have a darker buffed patch where its been rubbed.
If doing as RallyCinq says shows nothing, take the wheel off and make sure that hose is secure. If it rubs through you wont have any brakes. While its jacked up, you can also rock the wheel top to bottom. If there is any wobble it could be a suspension ball joint or the wheel bearing.

If its only rubbing on full lock you might not see much. But if it is the hose, the rubber will have a darker buffed patch where its been rubbed.
If doing as RallyCinq says shows nothing, take the wheel off and make sure that hose is secure. If it rubs through you wont have any brakes. While its jacked up, you can also rock the wheel top to bottom. If there is any wobble it could be a suspension ball joint or the wheel bearing.

thanks for that mate.

it happens as soon as i turn the wheel to the right - nevermind full lock. so because of that im guessing that the hose will most likely have a darker buffed patch (thats if it is infact the hose).

are the ball joints or wheel bearings expensive?

i dont think its the wheel bearing, i've been told that if a wheel bearing is on its way out, you can hear a constant squeeking noise coming from the wheel that is losing its bearing and i cant really hear any squeeking noises.

Last edited:
are the ball joints or wheel bearings expensive?

Ball joint is not worth replacing seperately, get a new arm for <£30, which will include new inner bushes too.

Wheel bearing is unlikely, but they are about £25. You will perhaps need to buy 15 minutes of your local garage's time to get the old bearing pushed out, and the new one in. This will involve taking off the hub, so do get new strut-to-hub bolts.

just thought i'd update on this!

i couldn't really find any problems when i jacked the car up and so i dedcided to take the car to the garage...

the mechanic had a little listen, got out some wd40 and i thought wtf... he gave the top mounts a good squirt, gave the driveshafts a good squirt and gave the springs a good squirt....

now the rubbing, squeeking, creeking has gone!

he said that it was just the muck and salt from the winter weather rubbing on the springs and driveshafts and the general lubed areas needing lubed up again. all happy :D

thanks,
Carl.

Back