Brakes

Currently reading:
Brakes

PuntoSaz

Punto Biatch!!
i have a 2002 punto 1.2 8v active

about 5 times in 2 weeks, my brakes have completely locked up, & havent stopped me in time for lights, or people cutting me up etc (when im not stupid, i know that i brake in plenty of time)

i know my car doesnt have ABS apparently, but surely they shouldnt do that? im barely ever even going over 30mph at these points!! and once it sent me flying left into a kurb.

im scared :( lol

if they lock up you are pressing the pedal too hard or your tyres dont have enough grip. there cant be any other explanation. if you have alloys with wide tyres (205+) its not uncommon to lock up in the wet, especially in a light car. if you have bald tyres its also a common problem.

brake earlier and dont press the brake pedal as hard. you cant be braking in time for the amount of grip you have.

I think you need to get them checked out pretty soon then lass dont you :) have you sort any advise from the guys in the Punto section ?

no, ill post there too.

it happens when my mum and dad drive it too, so cant be me!! and i have 2 newish front tyres...

and it happens in the wet and dry. (obviosuly i brake even earlier in the wet!!)

PuntoSaz said:
no, ill post there too.

it happens when my mum and dad drive it too, so cant be me!! and i have 2 newish front tyres...

and it happens in the wet and dry. (obviously i brake even earlier in the wet!!)

Obviously a brake fault if it happens to them as well get it checked for your safety if you havnt any idea about cars then get it seen to Saz I'm sure want to stay in one piece dont you (y)

in all my years i've never heard of a brake fault like this. it sounds more like very good brakes and not very good tyres to me. a brake check up is free at most places, even at quickfit.

Do you know if it's the fronts or rears that are locking?
Just wondering if the rears are locking which can be caused by a seized brake load balance valve thing. Not sure if they have them on the Punto though. It's the only thing I've seen that can cause brakes to lock, though there could be something more serious at play.
H

good point, the brake balance control valve. if it was closed it could prevent braking at the rear causing the front to lock up much more easily. (it closes when the rear is jacked up, and when you have a fault it can stick in the closed position)

cheers guys, had someone look at it earlier and i drove towards them, braked fairly hard locked up etc, but he said everytime i did it the passenger front wheel locked up seconds before the drivers side, so that would explain the hitting the going left hitting kurb thing?

ill take it tomo to get checked out!

PNL said:
I think you need to get them checked out pretty soon then lass dont you :) have you sort any advise from the guys in the Punto section ?

Phil, stop telling people to ask stuff in another section after posting here, you only make work for rother people that way and clutter the forum use the report button and someone will move it to that section.

Thanks

Liam:)

My pre ABS (by a few months!) Mk2 occasionally used to lock up the front wheels - but only when braking on wet leafy roads. They seemed to lock a bit too early IMHO, but I got used to it and it never caused an incident.

Hi,

I used to drive an Opel Astra 1994 model , I did hit a taxi infront of me due to wheel locked up . After that I change all brale shoe and front brake rotor , i drill holes on the brake rotor , after that i feel it works very well. So my suggestion , go and change to the Drilled brake rotor .

Back