General Brakes

Currently reading:
General Brakes

Rob-mint-mk1-uno

Mighty v6 power
Been cleaning my rear brakes today and freeing up the caliper sliders and making sure every thing is free and moving ok.
While i was there i noticed that my back plates are rusted right out, i under stand why they are on there, to stop water and crap getting in your brakes but is it ok to take them off completely or does any one know where i can get replacements.
If i could get hold of a pair at a good price id be chuffed :D
Cheers lads (y)

My front brake backing plates rusted through on their mountings and fell off! Well, they ended up hanging off and making horrible scraping noises :(

In the end I just ripped them off and left them at that. Had no problems with them removed.

I think they are meant to stop stones and grit getting onto the brakes, hence they are often known as 'dust shields'. If a piece of grit gets stuck between the brake pad and disc it can make a nasty mess of the disc.

I might get around to replacing mine at some point, but so far have had no problems with them removed...

Yeah i think ill just remove them and not worry about it, the uno is my toy any way so it wont leave the garage in the wet and in the winter months im going for some new panels and a good restore from the bottem up.
Ill have it all ready by the summer next year i hope.... :D

Back