Technical Brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Brakes

Firewarrior

Stilo Possee
Hi all,
Its come to the time to replace my brakes, so im going to get them done when the car gets serviced. It is going to an independant fiat garage but i dont fancy paying thier prices for parts. My local fiat garage want £100 per front disc!!! im not too sure how much the place wants where the car is actually going to but i have the option of supplying my own.
I have contacted a seller on ebay who is offering front discs and pads (apec or Q&H) for £88, my local CAS have some delphi lockheed discs for £100 the pair.
I was just wondering how these apec or Q&H compare, i have been told they are reg 90 but im assuming they will be just cheap and cheerful.
Im not putting any extra power through the car (1.8) so i dont really feel the need to spend an awful lot buying something like black diamond combi's or ebc turbo grooved (even though they still work out cheaper than fiat!!)
Any advice is appreciated
cheers

I used to work for Moprod/Supra Automotive whom were taken over by Quinton Hazell (QH) and from memory the discs that were in the boxes for Fiats were brembo (Original Equipment on Ducatti & Ferrari etc.) Did a spot of temping at Delphi, they are the parts division of GM and took Lockheed Girling over. Lockheed Girling are and have been an OE supplier of braking systems to the motor industry for donkeys years! Would have no hesitation in fitting either to my Stilo as both Delphi & QH are quality outfits with quality products (y)

I would say get the black diamond grooved discs & EBC greenstuff pads. They'll be cheaper & work a whole lot better.(y)

cheers guys, the Q&H ones are £80 for a pair of discs and pads which i thought was unbeatable value for money

Why are you replacing the disks aswell? Are they damaged / scored? If they're not damaged why change them? Pads alone are about £20 for Mintex for both sides, which are better than OE Fiat and far cheaper.

round the edge of the disc there is quite a big ridge (if that makes sense) which in the past i have been told is quite bad and one sign to replace them

I priced up brakes from the suppliers in the links section of this site (top right of your screen and click on the online stores option).
Unfortunately I've chucked my notes away but IIRC I could've got pads all round for about £35.
I didn't price up disks though.

The ridge around the edge simply builds up as the pad wears through the disk and is simply a wear indicator.
There will be a minimum recommended thickness for the disks and it is this that you should go by.
The ridge can be chipped away (carefully) and the disk continued to be used as long as it is not too thin.

timr69 said:
I priced up brakes from the suppliers in the links section of this site (top right of your screen and click on the online stores option).
Unfortunately I've chucked my notes away but IIRC I could've got pads all round for about £35.
I didn't price up disks though.

The ridge around the edge simply builds up as the pad wears through the disk and is simply a wear indicator.
There will be a minimum recommended thickness for the disks and it is this that you should go by.
The ridge can be chipped away (carefully) and the disk continued to be used as long as it is not too thin.

What would the maximum ridge be for a JTD 1.9 115 BHP, standard brake discs? (not the minimum disc thickness please, as I don't have any measuring devices in the car, I can only estimate 1 or 2 mm)

mscortar said:
What would the maximum ridge be for a JTD 1.9 115 BHP, standard brake discs? (not the minimum disc thickness please, as I don't have any measuring devices in the car, I can only estimate 1 or 2 mm)

Nevermind, I found the figures in DTE:

Front/Rear:
Nominal thickness: 10mm
After grinding: 9.35mm
Minimum: 9mm

My pads were done at the 48k service and there was no mention of the discs needing replaced. These were the second set of front pads.

Dunno if this helps in any way.

Where did you get the figures for brake thickness?
Do they have sone for the Fiat Coupe as well?

timr69 said:
My pads were done at the 48k service and there was no mention of the discs needing replaced. These were the second set of front pads.

Dunno if this helps in any way.

Where did you get the figures for brake thickness?
Do they have sone for the Fiat Coupe as well?

DTE CD (Electronic Technical Documentation). Coupe is not included on the CD I have, which is only for Stilo.

Back