Technical brakes

Currently reading:
Technical brakes

what would be a good upgrade? disc pad and maybe caliper wise?

for the back whats the best choice? would it be easy to change to a disc set up, like with standard sei front discs at the back and bigger punto gt set up (calipers discs and pads) at the front? or would that damage the bias too much?, i've done brakes before, but never a drum to disc conversion

the brakes are shocking at the moment (n)

The brakes should not be shocking. Unless you have a highly modified car then the standard brakes are more than adequate for bringing the car to a stop.

Use the search function if you want to learn about rear discs.

Cheers

D

at the moment, its totally unmodified, and they really struggle to bring it to a halt, so much so i cant drive down hills at more than 10mph, because the braking's so hard to judge, i will be modding it very lightly, i won't be adding anything silly, the're will only be about 8- 10bhp added i guess, and no weight will be added, but i found the standard set up was poor on my old cinq, i want a more than adequate set up for once on the sei :D

i might just replace the pads and discs for new standard ones, see how it goes (y)

cheers, i just got the car 3 days ago with little or no history, i have no idea when the fluid was last changed, so its a great plan to get that done too :)

i know the rears are badly out, so i will get all that adjusted some time this weekend, and i might actually have a handbrake when its done!

i've decided to stick with the drums at the rear for now, i will stick to as standard a set up as i can, perhaps just with some better discs or pads later on (y)

Hi
Not meaning to thread hijack but i have just ordered a set of Mintex disks and pads for me little seicento 899cc. Just wondering if anybody has had any personal experience with these Disks and Pads..

Many thanks

Rory

errr...... sorry but of going down hill at more than 10 mph is a worry i sugest you don't drive the fuc*ing thing :rolleyes:

you either have seized callipers or a buggered master cylinder never mind fluid or adjustment

If you have an accident as a result you would be bang to rights and if there was any doubt on this i would grass on you :mad:

don't drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

start with the front calipers and then master cylinder, to examine them properly you need to change the fluid anyway.

guys!!!! this bloke car doesn't stop! if you can't go down hill without thinking you won't stop then this is a front brake issue regardless of a rear disk conversion or not.

I have one car with rear disc's and one without and TBO i prefer the drum set up, (but my rear calipers are not 100%, 21% efficency on MOT so most of the braking is on the front) so if my turbo can stop with 21% rear efficency quicker than most cars i would still say look at the front brakes mate

the master cylinders fine, the brakes are improving rapidly too, they are still not great, but nothing new pads and discs won't sort (y)

the rears breaks are buggered though, i think all the shoes are nackered, the hanbrake issues now clear too, they won't work because the ones siezed partialy on, and the othert sides not even connected!, easy to fix though, i'm replacing the shoes sunday, along with all the fronts

it won't be driven until after they are sorted, (y)

Back