General Brakes Help Please

Currently reading:
General Brakes Help Please

Well my brakes aint what they used to be like and its starting to worry me abit, as punto mk1 brake are pants anyway. i want to upgrade the front disks and pads but i wannted to no some info first...

A) Can i do it myself?
B) What pads and disks shall i go for?
C) Is it possible to upgrade the rear drums in anyway???

i got a punto mk1 60 and i got 17" on it if that helps in anyway. Thanks

soz about spelling in titles

Last edited:
Re: Breakes Help Please

rears are fine but will probably need adjusted up
you can upgrade the discs pads but also can upgrade the whole set up to gt brakes.
have you checked the brakes are not leaking,dangerously worn?
get a haynes and if you are reasonably handy with the spanners then yes you can

I reccommend OMP, disc and pads.

I'v got a set of pads on my MK2, and this morning i nearly hit a driver, but without the OMP pads, i would have went into her easily. You can do it youself, iv got a haynes which helps alot mate.

its quite easy to change discs and pads; which make you go for is up to you i used tarox on my old uno; i now use red dot on the punto and ebc on the cinq. i'd go for matching discs&pads; as you have 17"s use grooved discs they'll look good behind the wheels

if you drive upto 60mph (no more incase its bad) and make sure its totally clear both ways (deserted dead end old a roads are best etc).

just go hard on the brakes, braking in a straight line.
does the back end want to overtake the front, or feel like its about to do an endo??
which case its maybe rear wheel cylinders seizing up.
3 out of my 4 on my mk1 seized over a period when I got it (2yrs back). braking was horrific and usually quite scarey.
eventually saved enough pennies together to get the cylinders replaced and new brake fluid pumped round, and FECK ME, the car broke in a straight line, stopped on a dime in comparison, and pedal was rock solid.
Nearly hit my head on th windscreen so many times in the following weeks until I got used to having brakes again!

cost abou £35 in parts inc fluid's. and got local garage to do it as part of mot (before) as they were seized up so tight I couldn't free the shoes enough to remove the drums!!!!

Also if the brake fluid hasn't been changed in the past couple of years it's worth getting that changed too.

Back