General Brakepads and Disks

Currently reading:
General Brakepads and Disks

kat

Just had my Abarth in for its three year service at 47,000Km. They replaced the front brake pads and disks - seemed way to low a distance to replace the disks - explanation was that European cars use softer metal and non metallic brake pads (reduces brake noise ??) and the combination does not last as long as say Jap cars (I had a Mazda 323 Astina V6 which went through two sets of break pads but no disks)??

What have other people found?

Cheers

Kat

The front discs on my JTD were recently replaced at 30k, they had actually rotted on the inside though! (I still need to put the pics up of this). Otherwise they would have been good for a second set of pads.

I got news front pads at the 24k service but there's been no mention of needing discs - car's now at 40k.

A mate told me a few years back that harder pads & softer discs were the norm.
My old MG Maestro got to 100k miles with the original front discs but needed pads every 15k or so.
The Punto HGT I had needed discs & pads at about 40k.

timr69 said:
I got news front pads at the 24k service but there's been no mention of needing discs - car's now at 40k.

A mate told me a few years back that harder pads & softer discs were the norm.
My old MG Maestro got to 100k miles with the original front discs but needed pads every 15k or so.
The Punto HGT I had needed discs & pads at about 40k.

i've just had new pads all round at 26k, rear pads replaced due to one siezed rear caliper which was not spotted at the 24k service!

front and rear have been replaced here at 37k miles
the inside ledges of the disks had developed some form of a lip.
only noticed as it made the outside pads rub on the disks making it squeek while driving

Back